Toyo AT3 Road Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 305/85/18 AT3’s. Not bad at all for an AT tire. Had a pair on my 2500hd also. Aside from mud terrains, the warn geolander XAT’s on my expedition were loudest.
305/85/18? Thats a 38” tire…they dont even make one that big. Maybe you meant 305/60/18?

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually surprised at how loud they are. everything I read about them said they were quiet and the sales guy at CO also said the same. Now, they are an E load tire so I was already a bit concerned about that as I didn't want a harsh ride. Ride is 'ok' at this point but the road noise is dumb lol.

You basically put on a tough a$$ heavy duty on but mostly off-road truck tire. Nothing about it will be quiet or smooth or cushy. You can't have it both ways without some negatives. Your tire salesman lied to you.....

I trust Carol Baskin more than I do CO. They knowingly lied to me on a set of wheels and tires I bought from them several years ago. I would not recommend their business to anyone.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trust Carol Baskin more than I do CO. They knowingly lied to me on a set of wheels and tires I bought from them several years ago. I would not recommend their business to anyone.
Yeah I am learning that along the way here. Aside from the sales experience, they sent the tires with the wrong TPMS sensors and it has been an absolute battle getting them to help swap them out. I've spent at least 8-10 hours over multiple days driving to different tire shops to see if they can re-program them to the right Mhz and of course no one knows how to do it or they don't have the equipment to do it. After having to send multiple shop statements to OS stating they are not able to be programmed I am now waiting for a Promissory Note that I have to sign to get them to send me the right stuff. I'll then have to go back to the tire shop to have them installed and then submit receipts to recoup all the install costs. Moral of the story, just go to a Discount Tire, Tires Plus, etc and order through them. I won't buy from them again just because if you have an issue you have to jump through hoops to get it fixed.

With regard to these tires, I will probably just keep them. The more I drive they seem to have gotten a tad quieter as they break in. They are still loud but I don't think I am going to mess with replacing them. Will just run them for a little while to see if I can get used to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am seriously baffled that they are that loud. Sound levels and annoyances are obviously different from one person to the next, but i shit you not, the 305/45/22 at3’s i put on my wifes high country are barely noticeably any louder than the stock street tires. We went on a several thousand mile trip from michigan to florida and back this spring and there wasnt one time anyone said a single peep about loud tires.

One thing to mention about the xl rated tires is the tread depth is much less, too. I would think that would contribute to a quieter ride.
Yeah I agree, I am baffled as well given everything I have read about these online through reviews and other forums. But I can say these are a super loud riding tire. They do seem to have gotten a little quieter as they break in so I am probably going to stick with them for a while. I put on maybe 5-8K miles a year anyway and most of those miles are driving to the airport so it's not the end of the world, just thought these would be a much quieter riding tire.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am learning that along the way here. Aside from the sales experience, they sent the tires with the wrong TPMS sensors and it has been an absolute battle getting them to help swap them out. I've spent at least 8-10 hours over multiple days driving to different tire shops to see if they can re-program them to the right Mhz and of course no one knows how to do it or they don't have the equipment to do it. After having to send multiple shop statements to OS stating they are not able to be programmed I am now waiting for a Promissory Note that I have to sign to get them to send me the right stuff. I'll then have to go back to the tire shop to have them installed and then submit receipts to recoup all the install costs. Moral of the story, just go to a Discount Tire, Tires Plus, etc and order through them. I won't buy from them again just because if you have an issue you have to jump through hoops to get it fixed.

With regard to these tires, I will probably just keep them. The more I drive they seem to have gotten a tad quieter as they break in. They are still loud but I don't think I am going to mess with replacing them. Will just run them for a little while to see if I can get used to it.

Yup, sounds like a similar situation. I ordered a set of 22"x10" Viper SRT10 Reps with a set of Nittos from them. They sent me a bad set of tires that could not be balanced, but were "balanced" when they left the CO warehouse. Multiple trips to a large national tire retailer (DT) that just does tires at their shops... Their tire technician said, "whoever balanced these tires to these wheels was blind, they knowingly sent you a bad set of tires. Whoever did this job was literally negligent. There is noway that these tires can be balanced, they're bad" DT can be pushy, but they let me into their bay and let me watch them balance and take photographs of the process. I didn't get anywhere with CO until I threatened with BBB and a lawyer.

OP
OP
DenaliCountry

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally swapped out my Toyos for a set of BFG KO2's a month or so ago. I went with a stock size 275/60/20 on the Fuel wheels. Ride is SO much better and quiet compared to the Toyos. The BFG's are a D rate tire so still a bit firmer ride but night and day difference compared to the E rate Toyo.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think everything is relative when anyone says a AT tire is quiet. Yes, some in the same category are more quiet , but as a group they will be more noisy than a more street friendly design. I am A Duratrac fan ( on a Rubicon which is super noisy on the hwy regardless of tire choice) but my friend just swapped them off his Silverado for a set of Michelin Defenders and the noise is night and day. I am happy so far with the Wrangler Trail Runner AT that my Z71 came with. It is down a bit in the ratings compared to others but will see how it fairs when the weather turns to shit here in Jersey. My next choice would be the Bridgestone Revo. A less aggressive AT that rates very well in rain and snow. Defender rates very well and would me more quiet but I like the looks of the REVO better. I would also consider the Conti cross contact AT as it rates really well in all categories except snow. I know Nittos are popular( especially with Wranglers) They look great but also look more aggressive which translate to more noisy most of the time. There are exceptions. Seems a lot on this forum buy them. Nittos tend to weigh more then others and a heavy tire means less gas mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons