Towing suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveoe

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe ltz with the z55 rear suspension. I currently don’t have the air ride on or compressor for the rear. What would be the best springs and shocks for towing. I was going to get overload bags that fit in the coil springs. Just wanting to know what else would be good to get. I seen moof coil springs didn’t know if they are heavier duty? Thanks

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You definitely should get air lift bags for the coil springs, if you plan to tow. The Z55 coil springs are softer than non-Z55 rear suspensions for a smoother/softer ride, as the Z55 air shocks compensate for any increased weight in the back by adding air from the compressor. You could get non-Z55 coil springs which are stiffer, but if you tow, you still would need to consider adding air lift bags.

Lots of folks here like Bilstein shocks for these trucks.

Other knowledgeable folks on this Forum will chime in.

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
B6C7B5FF-14BA-4111-A4B9-0CAA96F6DC43.jpeg
This is my only picture of it so far. It’s got 162,000 miles. I was thinking about putting slam specialty air bags on just the rear but that is gonna be pretty expensive and it is 4wd. Is suncore industry worth looking into if I go back to the stock air ride? And does the stock air ride last long in the salt belt? I’m from Indiana thanks for the help

OP
OP
steveoe

steveoe

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You definitely should get air lift bags for the coil springs, if you plan to tow. The Z55 coil springs are softer than non-Z55 rear suspensions for a smoother/softer ride, as the Z55 air shocks compensate for any increased weight in the back by adding air from the compressor. You could get non-Z55 coil springs which are stiffer, but if you tow, you still would need to consider adding air lift bags.

Lots of folks here like Bilstein shocks for these trucks.

Other knowledgeable folks on this Forum will chime in.
Hey I just looked at a picture of urs. What exhaust do u have I seen u have duals.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe ltz with the z55 rear suspension. I currently don’t have the air ride on or compressor for the rear. What would be the best springs and shocks for towing. I was going to get overload bags that fit in the coil springs. Just wanting to know what else would be good to get. I seen moof coil springs didn’t know if they are heavier duty? Thanks
I tow a 7000 lb camper with mine and agree with Bill that repairing the factory system is the way to go. It's actually a super easy system to work on. You can buy new OEM rear air shocks from Rock Auto for $250 each, and a new compressor for $200. The Dorman compressor is excellent, and when coupled with a properly set up weight distributing hitch, will completely eliminate any sag.

1639748127338.png

Last edited:

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
This is a Gibson Extreme cat-back dual exhaust. Way too loud for most folks, but fine for me.
I would love to have that on mine. Occasionally.

But certainly not for trailer towing. I did that once; put on a perform exhaust and set out on a cross-country trip towing a travel trailer. o_O

Put the factory back on as soon as I got home. :violin2:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to have that on mine. Occasionally.

But certainly not for trailer towing. I did that once; put on a perform exhaust and set out on a cross-country trip towing a travel trailer. o_O

Put the factory back on as soon as I got home. :violin2:
Yeah.... We occasionally take a 5 hour trip towing my tiny 1000 lb trailer, and we go over some mountain ranges. My wife is definitely NOT happy on those trips. Normally, I would just crank up the stereo, and the drone magically goes away, but my wife does NOT like loud music, either. :chair:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907