Towing setup confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XIIIX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here. Just purchased a 2010 Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3 FF, 105K, and am trying to set it up to tow my race cars, but I'm getting a little confused on what exactly I have and what I can do. Hoping y'all can help clarify and guide me. I've been getting mixed information all over the web.

Relevant RPO codes:
ZW7 CHASSIS PACKAGE,PREMIUM SMOOTH RIDE
YD6 SPRING,REAR(BASE EQUIPMENT)

I've read that the ZW7 shocks are supposed to be self-leveling and come with softer springs and are not great for towing, but I don't know if I have the self-leveling or not since I don't have the G65 RPO for self leveling. Can/should I add helper bags to the rear for towing? Or would I need to change to conventional shocks and springs to do that?

Other related RPO codes:
G80 AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP
GU6 AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO
Z82 TRAILERING PACKAGE(SPECIAL)(REESE TYPE HITCH)
VR4 TRAILER HITCH(WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING PLATFORM)

NQH TRANSFER CASE ACTIVE, TWO SPEED, PUSH BUTTON CONTROL, ALUM
YD3 AXLE FRONT (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE
YD5 SPRING,FRONT(BASE EQUIPMENT)

K5L EQUIPMENT ENHANCED COOLING PACKAGE
KC4 COOLING SYSTEM,ENGINE OIL
KNP COOLING SYSTEM,TRANSMISSION,HEAVY DUTY

With this setup would you recommend any additional equipment/coolers? I live in Nevada, and it can get very hot over the mountains. Very new to Towing and new to Tahoes and with all the misinformation out there I just want to be sure before I go ordering parts.

Thanks everyone.

-David

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You seem to have the right coolers. Try towing with a light load and see what happens. I would flush your radiator and check your water pump. I had an LS water pump crap out on me.

OP
OP
X

XIIIX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You seem to have the right coolers. Try towing with a light load and see what happens. I would flush your radiator and check your water pump. I had an LS water pump crap out on me.
I'm more concerned with the zw7 suspension. Is there a way to tell if it's the self-leveling by looking at it?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wrong forum. Could we get @soulsea to move this to the 2007-2014 street suspension forum? Thank you.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here. Just purchased a 2010 Tahoe LS 4x4 5.3 FF, 105K, and am trying to set it up to tow my race cars, but I'm getting a little confused on what exactly I have and what I can do. Hoping y'all can help clarify and guide me. I've been getting mixed information all over the web.

Relevant RPO codes:

I've read that the ZW7 shocks are supposed to be self-leveling and come with softer springs and are not great for towing, but I don't know if I have the self-leveling or not since I don't have the G65 RPO for self leveling. Can/should I add helper bags to the rear for towing? Or would I need to change to conventional shocks and springs to do that?

Other related RPO codes:
GU6 AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO

With this setup would you recommend any additional equipment/coolers? I live in Nevada, and it can get very hot over the mountains. Very new to Towing and new to Tahoes and with all the misinformation out there I just want to be sure before I go ordering parts.

Thanks everyone.

-David

The Premium Smooth Ride on the NNBS doesn't use G65 Nivomat manual self-leveling shocks. Your suspension is different from the NBS version of PSR.

OP
OP
X

XIIIX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Premium Smooth Ride on the NNBS doesn't use G65 Nivomat manual self-leveling shocks. Your suspension is different from the NBS version of PSR.
Awesome. Thank you for the help! I'm not familiar with all the acronyms though. What do NNBS/NBS and PSR mean?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Relevant RPO codes:

Other related RPO codes:
GU6 AXLE,REAR,3.42 RATIO

Thanks everyone.

-David
You're good for 8,200 pounds tow weight and a GCWR of 14,000 pounds. Watch the condition for being near 12 years old, I just replaced mine as she was beginning to sag with a light load. I'll get around to putting Air Lift springs (airbags) in the coils (60769) someday.

Get that transmission fluid changed, all of the fluids really, and run the severe service schedule to get the most life out of everything.

What are your race cars?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic