too much power?? is that possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't think the gauges are personal preference. They are crucial when running forced induction. If you go under boost and the engine is running rich or lean, you could cause some serious internal damage to the motor, which ultimately will cost you the entire setup. This was highly recommended when I started my FI quest. And after 4 superchargers (2 of which actually made it onto the truck, lol), I think I learned quite a bit. :D

Yeah, I would agree with that and should have included the gauges in my previous post as necessary mods. :Handshake:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4l80 will bolt right up to the 5.3 and 6.0 blocks no problem, you have clearance issues with the tunnel.. but for a lifted truck like me with a trans drop cross member i have the room..

Now i have yet to find anyone silverado or tahoe/burb to in the nbs years to swap a 6l80 yet... but i have seen a few people do the 6L80 on NNBS and thats almost a direct bolt in on 2wd setups..

see i would ideally want to install my 2010 Cummins common rail 5.9L motor and a 6L80 and do a solid axel swap and make in the 600hp and 800 ftlbs area but that about 5k in suspension fab work with me and the boys doing the work..

sorry tangent.. the 6l80 we are researching the swap to my truck..and my buddy is designing an adapter plate for the cummins he is going to make on his water jet at work.. but we are playing with the idea..

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't think the gauges are personal preference. They are crucial when running forced induction. If you go under boost and the engine is running rich or lean, you could cause some serious internal damage to the motor, which ultimately will cost you the entire setup. This was highly recommended when I started my FI quest. And after 4 superchargers (2 of which actually made it onto the truck, lol), I think I learned quite a bit. :D

I don't think anyone has done a GMT-800 to GMT-900 6L80 swap yet (just making that statement based on the bodystyle in your sig)... would be an interesting modification.

We were going to do a 4L60 GMT-900 to 6L80 GMT-900 swap on our Suburban but the costs were ridiculously high, even if we did the labor ourselves. After I had my hands all over this wrecked Escalade and tore out the 6L80 with transfer case, we considered doing it. But, I would have had to either convert the entire 6L80 to 2WD or swap my entire drivetrain over to an AWD setup. After running the numbers I've put into this Suburban to make it look and run like an Escalade, I might as well have just bought the damn Escalade... which has me thinking. :hmm:

Wow first the esky doors then the esky tranny? LOL yea you DEF shoulda bought an esky to say the least! I think we both want one hahahaha. A new opportunity opened up for me and I might have to move to Colorado in a few months for a new job so I will 100% need a 4x4 drive. Perfect excuse to buy a new vehicle :) Top 3 vehicles are Denali, Denali Hybrid, and Esky... which one though?!?

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

you'll be fine until you do forced induction, then its only a matter of time.

just FYI... my simple $6K magnacharger turned into roughly $10,000 after I got the supporting mods for it. So, plan ahead... :Handshake:

So when are you putting a magnacharger on the Burb? :Handshake:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nali Hybrid.. the eski attracts too much negative crime attention in my opinion

and i prefer a Nali that my vote

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just go Denali and skip the Hybrid part :shrug: When does the new job in CO start? :)

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4l80 will bolt right up to the 5.3 and 6.0 blocks no problem, you have clearance issues with the tunnel.. but for a lifted truck like me with a trans drop cross member i have the room...

are you referring to the swap on NBS SUVs (GMT-800) or all NBS vehicles? I know alot of folks running the 4L80 with no tunnel issues, but those are in the fullsize trucks. Now that I think of it, supersub on performancetrucks.net is running a 4L80 on a GMT-800 but I don't think he had any issues with clearance, just needed to redo the crossmember.

As far as the 6L80 2WD, yes, it is a direct bolt-on, however, there are supporting mods that need to be done to make it work, mainly electronics, tuning, and some other items. I was quoted roughly $1400 for those added items, granted I had a 6L80 2WD. Since mine was an AWD w/ transfer case, I'd need to convert the entire contents of the transmission into a 2WD core, so it became pointless at that time... :(

Wow first the esky doors then the esky tranny? LOL yea you DEF shoulda bought an esky to say the least! I think we both want one hahahaha. A new opportunity opened up for me and I might have to move to Colorado in a few months for a new job so I will 100% need a 4x4 drive. Perfect excuse to buy a new vehicle :) Top 3 vehicles are Denali, Denali Hybrid, and Esky... which one though?!?

Yeah, I think we're going to finish up the Burban and wait for the new bodystyle Escalades and then switch over to one of those. Tired of trying to make the LTZ look like an ESV, lol.

So when are you putting a magnacharger on the Burb? :Handshake:

Had one. TVS1900 off my Silverado. Pulled it off and was going to put it on and the wife didn't want it. Said she was happy with how it was as-is. So, I can't blame her, I was the power freak, she's not. Although she has a taste for exotic cars that she wouldnt mind running, but didnt want to go all engine-crazy on her daily mom wagon. :Handshake:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am refering to the cross member mod.. if it is not modded to allow the 4l80 to sit a tad lower then you have issues with the tunnel.. atleast that what we ran into when doing a 6.0 + 4l80 swap in a hoe.. but that could have been up..

there are a few companies making adapters and harnesses to mesh the 6l80 in... they are pricy but it can be done.. there is more than just bolting the bell housing up to the block in swapping a trany and alot of people dont realize that the controller it the life source..

OP
OP
P

pnap88p

Reaction score
ok so i guess the idea of simplicity that i wanted is not going to be done by me... damnit. so will the bb tune be to much for this stock parts to handle.???

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had exhaust, intake, and BB tune on my silverado and it was fine. You are perfectly fine with that and a stock 4L60.

When you get into F/I, cams, etc, then you are on borrowed time.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think the 6L80 is too new to ***** durability. The 6L80 is basically a 4L80 right? So I would expect it to be stout (at least more that the 4L60). But you never know until proven (I have not been on GM Fullsize to see applied hp).

I would like to go the 6L80 if my tranny goes again. However, I think I will just get a beefed up 4L60 because I am not going the FI route.

Good experience here. John, if you go the 6L80 route please post an update thread.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan