Tire size difference.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampDog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My on-road tires are a different size than the spare:
275/60R20SL (33" x 10.8" x 20") Spare: P265/70R17 (31.6" x 10.4" x 17")
Wondering 1) why? 2) Is not the 1.4" difference in diameter enough to cause differential damage over time/miles and 3) can the spare be changed to the larger tire size, i.e., will it fit in the under-the-vehicle mount?

Thx folks!

Alessandrolomb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as I know, using a spare tire that's significantly different in size can potentially cause differential damage over time. So, I think that the 1.4" diameter difference in your case could be enough to cause issues if the spare is used extensively.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is some discussion about road hazard replacements on the rear being an issue since you would have one new tire and one used, even though the same tire size. I can’t locate the source, but I remember my service mgr found a source indicating only replacing one drive line tire, even though it was the same size, would be problematic due to tire height from tire wear height on the remaining tire.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some discussion about road hazard replacements on the rear being an issue since you would have one new tire and one used, even though the same tire size.
I can’t locate the source, but I remember my service mgr found a source indicating only replacing one drive line tire, even though it was the same size, would be problematic due to tire height from tire wear height on the remaining tire.
Sounds like this advocates an all-five tire rotation schedule.
That'd minimize the wear differences between tires.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this advocates an all-five tire rotation schedule.
That'd minimize the wear differences between tires.
Yes. But even 3/32 difference between old and road hazard replacement could equate to between 1/4 / 1/2 inch in circumference difference. Meaning, new tire rotates 2 less times than used one on the same axel per mile.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.
But even 3/32 difference between old and road hazard replacement could equate to between 0.25" - 0.50" in circumference difference.
Meaning, new tire rotates 2 less times than used one on the same axle per mile.
Sounds like a damn good reason to rotate all 5 tires often enough to annoy most driver/owners.
(Y'all who change your oil less often than once every 5000 miles bewilder me.)

That said, is 0.50" of roll-out discrepancy between two tires is enough to warrant concerns about differential wear?
I'm earnestly asking.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a damn good reason to rotate all 5 tires often enough to annoy most driver/owners.
(Y'all who change your oil less often than once every 5000 miles bewilder me.)

That said, is 0.50" of roll-out discrepancy between two tires is enough to warrant concerns about differential wear?
I'm earnestly asking.
I have driven thousands of miles on many vehicles and never thought once about diff wear after having a tire replaced due to road hazard. Maybe I was lucky, but so far, I have never had an issue with stuff in the diff or the flux capacitor needing assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts