Tire recommendations for 2016 Yukon w/20" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey folks, looking for tire recommendations for my 2016 Yukon Denali with 20" wheel.
O.E. was the Continental CrossContact tires. Replaced with same model (but T-speed rated instead of S-speed) at 25,00mi, and now at 52,000mi need new tires again.

Has anyone switched from the Continentals to Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires? How do they compare?

I'm in upstate NY, so definitely need some wet/snow traction. Would also like good dry traction and quiet and smooth ride. But not looking for performance/summer tire level of traction. I guess I want decent traction without all the thumping and tire noises that come from the hard compounds that are usually in the long life tires. It'd be nice to have tires that last more than 25,000mi.

The CrossContact T-speed rated tires are only $170 (from that online place named after the river) whereas the Michelin S-rated are $225. Cost is not as important as traction and comfort.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
B

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, and I did search this forum and read the other tire recommendation threads, saw lots of likes for the Michelin Defender, but didn't seem to find clear description of why the Defender is better than the Continentals.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have the 20's, but I have been running Defender LTX/MS for nearly 24 years, from a 15" wheel, 17", and a set of 18". The only tire I run. They wear great, great warranty, ride super quiet, and have good severe weather traction. LOVE EM!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did not say if you do any off-roading.

For mostly pavement driving, the general consensus here in the Forum is that the Michelin Defender LTX M/S is an excellent year-round tire for pavement driving. I live in NH, and NH's winters have not thrown anything that my Michelin Defenders could not easily handle.

There is a tire at Costco that is the same as the Michelin Defender, but re-branded to a Costco tire brand, and it is supposed to be just as good, but cheaper in price. This was discussed here in the Forum, and verified by Michelin, within the past 60 days.

If you do any significant off-roading, there is another tire that is a favorite here in the Forum, but I cannot remember what it is. Other folks who do off-roading will chime in.

OP
OP
B

Budcat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I dont do any off-roading. A gravel driveway is the roughest it will see.

Cliff-Yukon

Reaction score
@Budcat - How'd you like the CrossContact's? How'd they do in snow? I've had a few sets of the Michelin Defender LTX on my 2010 Yukon - great tire, good in snow, long tread life! Can't go wrong with them... Getting a new '22 Yukon and now debating going a little more agressive for best snow - looking at Cooper AT3 4S now... vs the 'ol Michelin's... and of course taking off the factory Conti's... unless they are decent enough to keep. Thoughts?

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello- not trying to hijack thread but I thought I would throw my two cents in on the Continental CC. I have 2017 Tahoe, live in Iowa with all of the weather curve balls and have 20' CCC on mine with about 8k on them. I don't off road, only pavement. The CCC have been fine traction wise, road noise at 70 mph hasn't been bad. What I am not sure about is the ride, I put these on when I bought the vehicle so I don't know anything different on this truck. The reason I question the ride is - I have a 2007 Tahoe as well with 305k on it (I have put 285k on it) and have only run Bridgestone Alenza on it and I think it rides better than the 17 with the CCC on it?

At this point I am blaming the CCC - anyone else think the CCC ride rough?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons