Tire and Suspension Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!
I needed tires before winter on my 2017 Yukon SLT. I went with Defenders over Dueler Alenza’s but they discontinued the normal load range and only offer XL. The ride is stiffer, clunkier than I hoped. I replaced shocks and struts and the front slightly rocks and I’m clunking over bumps. Advice? Is it the load range? The defenders are excellent in rain/snow but not smooth or quiet like reviews say…help!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A truck rated tire over a passenger rated tire has a stiffer sidewall and usually a sriffer tread area to accommodate the higher load capacity.

Did you use OEM shocks and struts? It seems as I've read numerous reviews about the loaded, off-the-shelf, struts that just about everybody and their brother sells online as mostly *****, crappy ride quality, get what you paid for ride. If that's the case, I'd go back to OEM. If not, then you could try and play with tire pressure to see if that helps

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size tire are you running, that the Defenders would not be available in a non-truck rating?

OP
OP
T

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A truck rated tire over a passenger rated tire has a stiffer sidewall and usually a sriffer tread area to accommodate the higher load capacity.

Did you use OEM shocks and struts? It seems as I've read numerous reviews about the loaded, off-the-shelf, struts that just about everybody and their brother sells online as mostly *****, crappy ride quality, get what you paid for ride. If that's the case, I'd go back to OEM. If not, then you could try and play with tire pressure to see if that helps
Thank you:/ wondering if I should go back to Alenza…and yes, all OEM, pressure is at 35 cold, 37 warm

OP
OP
T

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What size tire are you running, that the Defenders would not be available in a non-truck rating?
285/45/22, they discontinued the lighter duty load range and told me I shouldn’t notice but…gas mileage went down and ride is stiffer

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, that makes more sense now....

I have that size on my 2017 and the ride did start to suck as the Bridgestone tires wore down - but got about 80k on factory tires.

Replaced with the same due to road hazard warranty covering 2 of them. The new ones ride much nicer, but they are a P series tire. I wouldn't want to try a LT tire with that short sidewall. If it weren't for the plush suspension, I would keep 18 inch wheels on year-round.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
285/45/22, they discontinued the lighter duty load range and told me I shouldn’t notice but…gas mileage went down and ride is stiffer
Wow! Very interesting. Thank you for providing your tire specs.

OP
OP
T

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Yes, all oem

OP
OP
T

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, that makes more sense now....

I have that size on my 2017 and the ride did start to suck as the Bridgestone tires wore down - but got about 80k on factory tires.

Replaced with the same due to road hazard warranty covering 2 of them. The new ones ride much nicer, but they are a P series tire. I wouldn't want to try a LT tire with that short sidewall. If it weren't for the plush suspension, I would keep 18 inch wheels on year-round.
The new Alenzas are a P series? If so, I’ll try them, ty