Throttle Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EB1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've acquired a P0121 error code on my 07 Tahoe. Anybody know the true source of the problem here? Is it the throttle position sensor itself? ..or is it a sensor on the accelerator pedal? ...or can I fix the problem by simply cleaning out the throttle body (as some people on here have recommended)? A more definitive solution here would really be great. Thanks.

apex2006

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was getting that code off and on for the last month or so. I decided to try and run it down this past week. After a lot of reading I decided to start by cleaning the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor.

I took both parts off the Tahoe and cleaned them as best I could. After I reinstalled the parts I drove around for a little bit, and the check engine light went off. I did this a few days ago, and my check engine light still hasn't come on.

Hope this helps.

Blake

OP
OP
E

EB1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Blake, that's a really big help! I've heard some other guys mention something similar, but they never said what success they had or didn't have. Did you clean them with any specific cleaner or just dry/damp cloth? Thanks for your help.

apex2006

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought the specific cleaner for both the mass air flow cleaner and the throttle body. Each bottle of cleaner was less than 10 buck at autozone. I'm sure you could clean the throttle body with a typical cleaner though.

I have also read that regular cleaner would work on the mass air flow sensor as well, but its pretty expensive if something damages it and the cleaner for it was pretty cheap in comparison.

My Tahoe ran a little funny and had a high idle once I cranked it back up. I did some reading and found some things saying you can help the Tahoe reset the idle by doing the following steps.

1. Turn the engine on and leave it in park for 3 minuets.
2. Turn off the engine for 1 minuet.
3. Turn the engine on and leave it in park for 3 minuets.
4. Drive around at different speeds and have some sessions of extended idle.

I ended up doing all the steps, but I am not sure if all of that is really necessary. I believe just driving it around would probably get everything back on track.

When I was driving it around the check engine light went off and hasn't come back on...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Reaction score
I got the same code 2 months ago. After reading a few threads about the the problem, and seeing that I might needed my throttle body replaced/being covered by warranty...I decided to take it the dealer. Come to find out a lot of carbon was builted up on throttle body which cause the code. It cost me $370.+++.....For a fuel system cleaning. Thats what the reciept stated for work performed. I did have some high idling for the first 50 or so miles, but...it seems like you save $300+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truckinscooby

Latest posts