Throttle lag/ resistance 2001 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys trying to figure out lag of power issue. When i drive the car it feels like something is holding the car back and i have to give it more gas for it to gain speed but there is a lag and then i feel the power jump and throttle kick in. I thought it was the brakes but just had the mechanic check it out and he said it was not that. Has anyone experienced this before or know what could be other causes of this. Seems to be inconsistent but i could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance everyone

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also been reading other forums about this and read that it could be the fuel pump. My gas gauge does not work as it used to the needle jumps from full to empty and then back. So might be the culprit anyone know how i can confirm if its the fuel pump. Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Many possibilities. Fuel pump pressure when load/throttle the accelerator, dirty throttle body, MAF needs cleaning or replaced, throttle position sensor....etc. Any tune work done recently? Age of plugs and wires and fuel filter and air filter? No codes?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a maf problem (air/fuel) issue, how many miles are on the truck and what maintenance has been done

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, The usual maintenance air filter is replaced regularly. the Car has 130k on it. I am going to take a look at the Maf tonight and the car does not throws any codes. Plugs look to be in good condition but think wont hurt to replace. I appreciate your guys help. Going to clean the throttle body and replace the maf sensor and go from there. If it till lags might suck it up and do the plugs and wires.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get the MAF Cleaner at the parts store and try that first. Follow directions on the container. If it works it is less expensive than replacing the MAF. By the way you are telling us about the maintenance items, plugs, it sounds like you bought the rig with the existing plugs in it and therefore don't know the age but what you said about air filter maintenance tells me something else. Are you the original owner and know the entire maintenance history?

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the second owner since 80k and the original owner has done a great job maintaining the car. Since I got it i have been staying on top of things. I am also not a master mechanic so I am learning a lot as I go (like the maf sensor). I do not know when the last time the plugs and spark plugs have been replaced so two years ago I picked some up but never installed them, but time to suck it up and do it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sound like it needs some new life put back in the rig. If you do it all now you KNOW what and when it was all done.

OP
OP
L

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally doing now going to clean the maf and the throttle this week and when i have a free weekend going to do the plugs and sparks. Once again guys thanks for all your wisdom it is greatly appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before you do the MAF and throttle body cleaning watch 2-3 you tubes for both to get an idea of what to expect. Some of the you tubes are better than others so watching more than one is recommended.

According to rockola1971/Mike, this guy Eric is a good one to watch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442