throttle body motor failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jossix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
throttle body failure

on my way home from Toronto -Ottawa last Sunday my check engine light came on and warning messgages appeared saying i was now on reduced engine power and stabilizer track was off or something to that effect. My 2009 yukon could not get past 40km per hour. I had to continually pull to the side of the highway,switch off and switch back on to get back to power based on the advice of On Star.thank goodness for them. I finally made it home and to the dealer next day.They told me that my throttle motor had failed and there was a 5 day wait for replacement.Thankfully its all covered by warranty.
It was a bad experience especially on a snowy highway.

Last edited:

Maccam26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2009 5.3L Tahoe did the same thing last week. Lights came on saying Stabilitrack was Off, Service Traction Control Module and Traction Control Off. All this happenned at temperature below 30 farhenheit (about -1 celcius). The reason I mention the temp is because my truck had been making some weird noise on deceleration during colder and colder days but dealer could not find source and eventually changed the alternator, wasn't it.. They still have my truck, they can't find a throttle body at the moment... frustrating.

Mine started to accelerate on its own when I was parked in a McDonalds drive thru, then would not go anywhere... almost rear ended person in front.. Then eventually went into engine reduced mode so I could limp it to my office and get it towed.

OP
OP
J

jossix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
apparently this throttle body is a most difficult part to find.
my dealer said i need to wait another week,but they have agreed to pickup the cost of my rental vehicle until my yukon is repaired.

Maccam26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My truck was down on December 2, dealer just received the throttle body today December 10.

OP
OP
J

jossix

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you are lucky then..We expect a huge snow storm this weekend.and the thought driving a rental impala instead of my Yukon during that is not very appealing.

Maccam26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it... I know what you mean on the Storm, I am from Montreal but lived a few years in Barrie, Ontario. Wouldn't want to drive Impala in those 30-40cm storms... Good luck, hope they get yours soon.

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem 6 weeks ago. On my way to work 10 miles from home at 4:30 a.m. Limped home in "Reduced power mode". My son hooked up his H.P. tuners and found a shitload of comunication codes. By the time he got it to the dealer later that morning it was running fine with a check engine light on. They scannned it and came up with the same info. Dealer diagnosed it as a VCIM Module failure. At first they didn't want to replace it because G.M. has a policy that says they have to visually see what the truck is doing! Took them 21/2 weeks to get a new one in! (Then after they were done they ripped the front bumper on my LT backing over a hard snow pile.They replaced it with a new one off an LTZ (chrome grill and all) so I wasn't complaining!). Anyhow this morning on my way to work again it happens again. I drove it straight to the dealer and proceeded to leave it running. I couldn't bear to listen to it sit and idle sounding like a machine gun so I videoed the error messages on the dash and made them a sound clip of the exhaust! Shut the truck off and 15 minutes later I restarted it and again it was running fine. this time they replaced the throttle body and I'm keeping my fingerss crossed!

knight09

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2009 Throttle Body Failure - What Options

I have a 2009 Tahoe with 29000 miles on it. Just had the throttle body error code for the 3rd time. First time the dealer said they had not heard of the problem so just drive it and see if it happens again or bring it back and leave it with them for a day to see if they could find the problem. Second time I took it to my local dealer. They said it is the throttle body which is on national back order with no delivery date. Just happened again tonight in a busy intersection - very dangerous. What is gm required to do when a vehicle that is under warranty has a safety defect that they cannot fix? The vehicle also lunges forward while it is running in this "low Power" mode. Always been a Chevrolet fan so this is very disappointing. My wife does not feel safe driving the Tahoe with this defect.

chopper269

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been having the same exact problem with my '07 burb, though it never shut off while driving until yesterday when of course my wife was driving. Needless to say I got a frantic phone call. Was relieved that it happened while she was pulling into a parking lot. It threw a P1516 code.
About a month before this happened the truck was making a rattling noise coming from the top of the engine. I couldn't pin point where it was at first. It sounded like something was loose and bouncing around in the intake manifold. For the most part it sounded a lot louder on cold startups. A few days later I finally found out what the noise was. I pulled off the air intake hose to the throttle body and saw the butterfly rattling violently. It would quite down a little when the truck warmed up. What was strange was that it would rattle like that for a few seconds when I turned the truck off and when I turned it to the on position. I also had hesitation when I stepped on the gas sometimes, as well as surging at highway speeds.
Checked the wires from the harness on the TB as far back as I could. Also checked the pins in the harness as well. All looked and felt ok. So today I decided to pull the TB off and clean it. It wasn't too dirty for having 94k on it, though I bought the truck with 90k so I don't know if the previous owner ever cleaned it. While I was at it I pulled off the cover on the TB where the harness plugs in just to check it out. The gears worked fine, though a little dusty and there were no teeth missing on them. The circuit board was inclosed so I couldn't look at that. The only other electrical connection I could see were 2 copper pins on the throttle body side that attached to the cover to another set of 2 pins via a metal coupling. When I first pulled the cover off one of the couplings came off one of the pins pretty easily. Not sure if that may have been the reason why the butterfly was chattering. I was able to secure it more tightly before I reattached it......Would have taken pics if I knew I was going this deeply into it. Seeing what I am talking about would make it a lot easier to understand......I was in a time crunch so I wasn't able to blow out all the dust and spray some electrical cleaner on the pins before I put it back together.
I let it sit for a few hours and tested to see if I would get the rattling again. So far so good. It was only 32* out so I'm going to let it sit overnight and check it in the morning to see how it is. In the next few days I'll pull it off again to blow out and clean the dust on the inside of the cover.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

My wife does not feel safe driving the Tahoe with this defect.

My wife said the same exact thing. She said until it is fixed then she will never drive it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
808JAM