Thoughts on preemptive engine repair vs eventual replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eritzman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ with 238k miles on it. Original engine and transmission. I had the oil pump replaced (at no small expense) last year to fix a low oil pressure issue. The mechanic said he was surprised how clean it was once he had it apart, and no metal shavings to be seen anywhere.

I currently have the AFM tuned out, but I'm considering my options for the future.

1. Continue to drive it as it is, fix it when if finally breaks.
2. Preemptively replace the AFM lifters with new stock lifters, maybe turn the AFM back on, maybe not.
3. Do a complete mechanical delete.
4. Buy a used 5.3 and rebuild it from the ground up with a full delete and put it in when it's done.
5. Some other option I haven't considered yet.

We've had this vehicle since 70lk, so I know what the service history is. It's visibly and mechanically in excellent condition.
What's everyone think?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Drive it as is until you have real problems
2. Don't waste your money on replacing the valvetrain (yet) DO NOT Turn AFM ON
3. Wait until you NEED to tear it down to do a mechanical delete
4. Sounds like a plan... You can work on the used 5.3 at your convenience
5. Remember, anytime you're going to open up a 14 year old motor there WILL
be lots of stuff that is just fine - but not up to par
Like cylinder head valves, springs, rocker arms, pushrods etc...
Just do a complete engine separate and build it the way you WANT. ... then when you
budget the down time you can put it in...
I'd do a rebuild on the trans while you are there too.. Then you're good for a lot more miles

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ with 238k miles on it. Original engine and transmission. I had the oil pump replaced (at no small expense) last year to fix a low oil pressure issue. The mechanic said he was surprised how clean it was once he had it apart, and no metal shavings to be seen anywhere.

I currently have the AFM tuned out, but I'm considering my options for the future.

1. Continue to drive it as it is, fix it when if finally breaks.
2. Preemptively replace the AFM lifters with new stock lifters, maybe turn the AFM back on, maybe not.
3. Do a complete mechanical delete.
4. Buy a used 5.3 and rebuild it from the ground up with a full delete and put it in when it's done.
5. Some other option I haven't considered yet.

We've had this vehicle since 70lk, so I know what the service history is. It's visibly and mechanically in excellent condition.
What's everyone think?
You answered your own question already....

Drive it until there is an issue. Good maintenance since 70K, clean bill of health from mechanic, engine super clean, etc. Run it and join the high mile club.......not to be confused with the inverse unless your SO is present. Either way it's a win/win

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to both of these comments. I did a cam swap in my 2012 for more towing power and deleted AFM in the process. I would never have done it if I didn’t need/want the bigger cam. Once you deviate from stock, you’re in the experimental category and have to track and periodically replace valve springs, and anything else that’s under more stress with the new setup. Your engine will very likely make 400k as it is if you keep clean oil and coolant in it.

OP
OP
E

eritzman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everyone!
It looks like I need to start shopping for a 5.3 to rebuild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n