Thinking of getting a full size SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05-06 are the hallmark of this generation as they were available with all the major features (electric cooling fans, combined sunroof/rear entertainment package, 2nd row captains chairs, rear lift gate, Stabilitrak w/ G80 locker, Autoride suspension, etc). I'm partial to the Yukons due to styling and, in general, are more loaded with options from the factory.

The front differentials are prone to having the spanner lock tabs breaking, allowing the spanner nuts to release the preload on the carrier bearings. Which consequently and quickly causes carrier bearing failure and the dreaded whining noise from the front end. The problem is most prevalent on the AWD trucks (Denali's and Stabilitrak AWD-equipped SUVs) since their front ends are engaged full time. The regular (Autotrak) 4WDs aren't that big of a deal unless run in "Auto" or "4-Hi" all the time which keeps the front end turning. It's not a critical item in most cases, mostly a nuisance and not all trucks have the problem. I know of Denali's with 130k miles still on the factory front differential.

These trucks are moderately complicated to work on. A standard Craftsman mechanic's set is all you'll need for most jobs. Specialty tools are minimal, usually readily available, and aren't very expensive.

OP
OP
K

kturner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know of Denali's with 130k miles still on the factory front differential.

This caught my attention as I don't think 130k is high miles. My last four bmws, all rwd, collectively had about a million miles on them (180k, 190k, 260k, 340k) and the most I had to do to any of those diffs was to replace the output seals.

Just trying to get a feeling for what to expect if I do make the shift from rwd car to awd/4wd suv. Is it common to replace diffs on awd vehicles?

For the tahoe/yukon/etc, is there an approx number of miles that is considered 'bad', in terms of stuff starting to break?

Keith

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had many 5.3s and 6.0s in my fleet trucks go past 300k miles. As of now I have a 2002 1500 with the original and untouched 5.3 that's somewhere around 330-340k miles. It's on the 2nd transmission, original lasted until ~220k miles. It's not unusual for some of my trucks see 40k miles per year. I also have as many Ford trucks with equal treatment and similar results. They all build good trucks nowadays, but like any machine they will wear out and need attention or replacement.

Other than the transmission and front differential, the drive trains in these trucks are very durable. With a little work the transmission can be made very tough. The front differential is just something that needs to be addressed when the time comes. Again, the AWDs are the ones you see the most issues with, but even then it's not a constant problem. Properly handled, you might have to deal with it once or twice in 300k miles which would take most people 15+ years to accumulate. Minor expense over the long run.

For a little perspective, if you drive it that much, you'll spend more in gas than you did on the purchase price: 15k miles per year at 17mpg average is ~880 gallons per year... at $3.50/gal you're spending $3,000/year to keep this truck moving. By the time you hit 300k miles (in 20 years) it took $60,000 in gas alone to make this truck travel that distance. Even a honda civic, which averages roughly twice the mpg, needs $30,000 to travel the same distance. We tend to under-appreciate the cost of keeping a vehicle on the road.

Anyway, I'm rambling. While typing that I remembered a similar topic from a while back and did a search... here's a post of mine from then: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=251621#post251621

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a little perspective, if you drive it that much, you'll spend more in gas than you did on the purchase price: 15k miles per year at 17mpg average is ~880 gallons per year... at $3.50/gal you're spending $3,000/year to keep this truck moving. By the time you hit 300k miles (in 20 years) it took $60,000 in gas alone to make this truck travel that distance. Even a honda civic, which averages roughly twice the mpg, needs $30,000 to travel the same distance. We tend to under-appreciate the cost of keeping a vehicle on the road.

Makes me not want to drive anymore :(......and I get less than 17mpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fpd262