Thinking of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

criffaaa1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my 03 suburban with 107k for $6400 and it's just as clean. I'd tell him $6K drive out.
As far as looking at other vehicles, I'd stick to the GM products. Better overall ride quality and you can really get a lot for your money. They also seem to last forever. Just look at all the high mileage tahoes/yukons/subs that are out there and drive like new.

All those miles,five grand cash tops they will still doublewhat they paid for it at auction

sent from my Crifftastic $3

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was following your search while looking myself. My criteria was 5.3+, good paint, leather, 150K or less, third row, and smooth shifting transmission. From Dallas to Tulsa I could generally find leather Tahoes and Yukons with around 120K miles (2001-2006) for 5k-6k.

After seeing these I expanded my search for Denalis and Escalades. I added 1K to my criteria for these premium models. After offering on a few Yukons, I found a 2002 Escalade with 144K for 7K. It was one owner, garage kept and immaculate...except for ABS module and blown Bose sub. He even filled the tank with gas.

I used some scripts to scour Craigslist. (Im a software guy.). I initially looked at the Ford products you listed. The transmissions appeared to have higher failure rates. The discontinued Mountaineers had great prices. Ultimately, the GM powertrain and cost of repairs did it for me. These truck parts are everywhere.

Good luck with your purchase. Keep us posted.

darupy5e.jpg

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those miles,five grand cash tops they will still doublewhat they paid for it at auction

sent from my Crifftastic $3

Sadly this is the cheapest one I have found. They are normally $8-10K with just as many or more miles. Would probably be asking that for this one also if it was leather instead of cloth.

We had an explorer, sold it with probably 170K miles on it and the only problem was a leaking wheel bearing. Still see it from time to time driving around our little town. The problem with the explorers are the rear ends, our hummed and it was a major problem with ford. Never broke and never saw any that actually broke, just annoying after a long drive with the radio low.

It also probably doesn't help that we are looking in the winter with about a foot of snow on the ground.....makes the 4wd prices go through the roof.

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the Tahoes/Yukons without lumbar. I have cloth seats in my 04 and they kill my back.

Cash_88

Reaction score
So I was finding it hard to find one with the bench in the middle like we wanted. I would of loved to have the bench up front also, but that seems super rare.

I have found one or two that have the 4.8 in them instead of the 5.3. Is there any real difference between the motors, like better mpg or anything? We probably wont tow anything and if we do it will be a small trailer with either a rzr or 2 atv's on it.

From what I've read there isn't much difference between the 4.8 and the 5.3. Besides stroke length there is a 10 HP difference between the two engines and the 4.8 has flat top pistons while the 5.3 has dished pistons.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is about to get derailed. There are some great comparisons of the two. The "Super Chevy" study is great.

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the Tahoes/Yukons without lumbar. I have cloth seats in my 04 and they kill my back.

Right now I am driving my father in laws 2000 2500 and it is cloth, but has lumber support. The lumbar is as far in as I can put it and it is on my honda accord also. Have never used the lumbar before

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got NBS cloth seats in my '77 and they've got lumbar support also :shrug:

OP
OP
B

BrandonH13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got NBS cloth seats in my '77 and they've got lumbar support also :shrug:

You can see in the picture that the lumber "wheel" thing isn't there on the seats, which would mean that is doesn't have the lumbar support to move it out and in I think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88