Thinking of buying a 2005 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Boogthebandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a quick note as I’m not sure where you are located but if you are in a rust belt state such as myself really inspect the under carriage of the vehicle for rust if you are not chances are the vehicle for the most part should be in pretty decent shape rust/rot wise dealers do a good job of covering up problem areas though so inspect it really good
I’m in Maryland which isn’t a big rust state but I’ll be sure to still check under the under carriage for rust.

OP
OP
B

Boogthebandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just some common things that go wrong on these rigs they are great rigs just some common things however

the two biggies Tranny & water pump

some other common ones

cluster gauge

Master power window switches

Air bag sensor

All 3 of these I replaced on my Yukon
Great thank you for the information. I hope this Tahoe can last for another 200k plus . It won’t be my daily driver so I won’t run it into the ground

TJ Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2005 Yukon with 5.3 LM7 engine and one thing I surely wish I had known at the time of purchase was the well known possibility of having the heads crack!

Jester1023

Reaction score
I've been lucky with mine i'm approaching 200k miles on it not quite sure if they are Castech's as I never pulled the valve covers to check if they are then they are the better of the two heads from what I've read I have 862's vs the 706's!

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 has been the best rig I have ever owned. I have been trying to find another one and there are slim pickens under 200,000 miles.

I'd say the biggest issue is the HVAC system and the cluster solder/stepper motors.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 has been the best rig I have ever owned. I have been trying to find another one and there are slim pickens under 200,000 miles.

I'd say the biggest issue is the HVAC system and the cluster solder/stepper motors.
Same here. My 2005 Z71 with over 175k miles has been a great, reliable vehicle with zero major problems and no engine or transmission problems. Some relatively minor issues have been a/c compressor, gauge cluster (common problem on GM trucks), EVAP system, Bose speakers, NAV system, window regulator/switch, and transfer case range select sensor.

EDIT: I’ve run nothing except Michelin AT/2 tires on all my Tahoes. The last set cost over $1,200. You can factor that into the price you are paying.

Last edited:

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 Z-71 had the air conditioning stop working and the day I traded it in with about 80k on it the check engine light came on. I didn't deal with it so I don't know what the issue was. Other than that, just brake job and it was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2