Thinking of buying a 2005 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boogthebandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello I’m thinking of buying a 2005 tahoe with 200k miles. They dealer wants $6k is this a good deal? One owner no accidents

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Hello! A bit more info would be helpful for people to determine if it’s a good deal. What trim level? What options? Etc..

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

With that mileage, there were routine (for that mileage) repairs/replacements that should have been made, some of them rather expensive. So, if these repairs/replacements were not made by the current owner, chances are that you will be making them in the next year so, after purchasing the truck. As such, you may need more than 6k, in order to keep this truck reliable and running for the next few years.

Other folks will chime in with their thoughts and perspectives.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like has been said, need more info. What trim package? LS, LT or Z71? Any repair or maintenance records? At 200k miles the trans likely has had work but would be nice to know for sure. Make sure you have inspected by a qualified tech before purchase. Condition of ALL fluids? Condition of tires?

By the way, I love my 2005 Z71. Post pics if you can and if you buy it.

OP
OP
B

Boogthebandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The trim is Z-71 One owner. 4 brand new Michelin tires, fully loaded DVD and sunroof with roof rack package. I will be going today to take a look in person. I will ask the seller for the cars repair history. it is located at a dealer.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The trim is Z-71 One owner. 4 brand new Michelin tires, fully loaded DVD and sunroof with roof rack package. I will be going today to take a look in person. I will ask the seller for the cars repair history. it is located at a dealer.

Ok. That likely has leather seats with rear captain chairs for second row and a full seat for 3rd row. You have factory DVD? While at the dealer I would ask that you borrow a hose and dribble water at the sun roof to make sure there are no leaks. I have no idea where you are located but I paid, 6 months ago, $8k for mine with 132k miles on it. I have a build thread going if you want to see pics of what has been done so far. With that mileage I would try to get as much info as you can from the dealer and any records and have inspected and try to get the rig for $5k to $5.5k.

OP
OP
B

Boogthebandit

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. That likely has leather seats with rear captain chairs for second row and a full seat for 3rd row. You have factory DVD? While at the dealer I would ask that you borrow a hose and dribble water at the sun roof to make sure there are no leaks. I have no idea where you are located but I paid, 6 months ago, $8k for mine with 132k miles on it. I have a build thread going if you want to see pics of what has been done so far. With that mileage I would try to get as much info as you can from the dealer and any records and have inspected and try to get the rig for $5k to $5.5k.

Great thank you, I will be sure to check all of these points. I will also try to Talk the price down once I actually go and see the vehicle tomorrow. Sure I'd be glad to take a look at what you've done so far.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Great thank you, I will be sure to check all of these points. I will also try to Talk the price down once I actually go and see the vehicle tomorrow. Sure I'd be glad to take a look at what you've done so far.

On the Forums page, go to Photo Gallery and then Under Construction and look for my screen name.

Jester1023

Reaction score
Just a quick note as I’m not sure where you are located but if you are in a rust belt state such as myself really inspect the under carriage of the vehicle for rust if you are not chances are the vehicle for the most part should be in pretty decent shape rust/rot wise dealers do a good job of covering up problem areas though so inspect it really good

Jester1023

Reaction score
Just some common things that go wrong on these rigs they are great rigs just some common things however

the two biggies Tranny & water pump

some other common ones

cluster gauge

Master power window switches

Air bag sensor

All 3 of these I replaced on my Yukon