The wait begins... 2021 Denali ordered!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going back and forth, and back and forth... and, well you get the idea, on waiting GMC out to where they allow a second row bench to be ordered without a sunroof. I finally caved and put in an order yesterday with the damn sunroof. The timing is such that I need to have this vehicle delivered before my current vehicle needs new tabs.

Optioned as follows:

Yukon Denali standard wheelbase
6.2L
Summit White
Black/Black interior
Second Row Bench
Premium Package
Max Trailering Package
Premium Capability Package with Active Response 4WD
Standard 22" rims

I drove a number of configurations of both the Denali and the AT4 (also an SLT before the AT4 was out to get a feel for the 5.3 vs. 6.2). The Denali won hands-down with power, interior fit and finish and ride quality.

Regarding the Adaptive air ride suspension, I test drove one with and one without back to back. A few findings:

When I first drove the Denali without adaptive air suspension I was concerned that it rode every bit as I figured a large SUV would: a bit soft, prone to diving in the curves and overall unrefined compared to my experience driving German SUV’s over the past decade. I just figured that’s what I had to come to grips with in order to have the size and space of the Yukon. Then I drove the adaptive air ride-equipped model and it was literally night and day to me. It rode so much more composed and had a brawny athletic feel to it while braking and taking turns. It literally rode like a big, heavy, solid German SUV and I was blown away by the ride quality.

Regarding ride "feel," I would not say the ride is “softer” with the adaptive air suspension- rather more planted, responsive and athletic. Bumps and jarring pavement imperfections, as well as aggressive steering inputs and abrupt braking didn’t cause it to be unsettled in the least.

And now I sit here daily, building the vehicle over and over again on the configurator like some sort of mad car scientist, and reading this forum. Well at least I have that!

Last edited:

Z71orAT4

Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm waiting out my diesel Denali, ordered a month ago. Personally I preferred the standard suspension with magnetic ride control but to each his own.

Welcome to the waiting club!

2021 Yukon Denali standard wheelbase
3.0Turbo Diesel
4WD
Midnight Blue Metallic
Jet Black Interior
Denali Premium Package
Power Center Console
22" Low Gloss Black Wheels

roggss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What makes you decide about your engine?

My concern about the 6.2 is the lifters and with the diesel is the belt and overheating issues(seen on videos)

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, and I honestly don't mean it offensively. I am genuinely curious. What do you guys do for a living that you can afford these new Denalis? Those prices are literally almost what I paid for my house 20 years ago.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What makes you decide about your engine?

My concern about the 6.2 is the lifters and with the diesel is the belt and overheating issues(seen on videos)

Nah, the 6.2 has been around for ever and is a solid choice if you are willing to accept not great mileage and +.60 cents a gallon for premium (what is is in our area...)

There are diesel naysayers out there, but the overwhelming majority of Duramax clients are very happy with it. There have been some hiccups, but it has been around enough now in Silverado and Sierra, that I wouldn't think twice about getting one in a Denali or even an Escalade, The belt issue is 150K down the road and most people don't keep a vehicle that long. I have also read that the design specs for the belt are actually upwards of 200K lifespan really.....In fact I plan on ordering this spring one or the other with the Duramax. Getting 25 MPG with this big of vehicle and equal or better torque off the line is intriguing.. But I have owned many diesels and know what to expect....

roggss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nah, the 6.2 has been around for ever and is a solid choice if you are willing to accept not great mileage and +.60 cents a gallon for premium (what is is in our area...)

There are diesel naysayers out there, but the overwhelming majority of Duramax clients are very happy with it. There have been some hiccups, but it has been around enough now in Silverado and Sierra, that I wouldn't think twice about getting one in a Denali or even an Escalade, The belt issue is 150K down the road and most people don't keep a vehicle that long. I have also read that the design specs for the belt are actually upwards of 200K lifespan really.....In fact I plan on ordering this spring one or the other with the Duramax. Getting 25 MPG with this big of vehicle and equal or better torque off the line is intriguing.. But I have owned many diesels and know what to expect....

I am really not so much concerned about the mileage/gas, as this will be only our weekend vehicle and yes we are keeping this forever :)

I just need the most reliable engine that will not give me headaches along the road.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Congrats! You must be a janitor at some super Ivy League private school to be able to afford approximately $111,000 after 120 months of payments at 4.99%! I estimate the payments to be somewhere in the range of $933 a month. Whew! Well worth the money if you can afford it! Right now I’m stuck with a rusty ‘07 Yukon Denali. But I love her everyday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269