The quest to drive in a straight line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well im back at it. Finished my stereo install and got my messed up door worked out so this is back at the top of the list. Redhead gear box and
Flaming river u join coming soon

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't know the whole history of the steering problem of this rig but have you ever had the frame checked to see if it is "tweaked" or twisted, out of straight, from a wreck? Has the thrust angle been checked during alignment? Can't do that if the alignment shop only hangs alignment heads on the front wheels.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the whole history of the steering problem of this rig but have you ever had the frame checked to see if it is "tweaked" or twisted, out of straight, from a wreck? Has the thrust angle been checked during alignment? Can't do that if the alignment shop only hangs alignment heads on the front wheels.
It wanders buti really think its related to a work out steering box. Its gets better every time i tighten it up a little. But really its just a guess

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would assume you are still going to align after the work so that is the time to get a thrust alignment, heads on all 4 wheels and ask about frame damage. Are all the rear springs attached tightly and aligned properly?

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume you are still going to align after the work so that is the time to get a thrust alignment, heads on all 4 wheels and ask about frame damage. Are all the rear springs attached tightly and aligned properly?
Cant say i have the answers to those questions. I can say is i had a alignment done before and they said everything was in tolerance. I have spent a considerable amount of time under the hoe and havent seen anything like frame damage

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any alignment tech that says, "everything was in tolerance", means he/she set the toe and let it go and did not hang heads on the rear. Also, you can have a twist or a diamond in the frame and cannot see with the naked eye. Your rig, your call. I have done alignments. I have seen what minor adjustments can do and have seen what small imperfections can do.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any alignment tech that says, "everything was in tolerance", means he/she set the toe and let it go and did not hang heads on the rear. Also, you can have a twist or a diamond in the frame and cannot see with the naked eye. Your rig, your call. I have done alignments. I have seen what minor adjustments can do and have seen what small imperfections can do.
So if I had a 4wheel alignment done and the thrust angle is in spec (close to dead straight I'd assume?), further issues would be suspensions/steering systems?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As long as the thrust angle is correct and then the front steering and suspension is aligned referencing the rear thrust angle and aligned correctly, that part of the equation is good and the other problems will be something else. Ride height, caster, camber, tire pressure and toe in that are set to specs and is checked correctly for any worn out components, well then your problem is elsewhere.

I have watched many an alignment tech act like they knew what they were doing but would just give a cursory sight inspection and set the toe and let it go. I always gave a before and after printout when I did an alignment and I will not get an alignment done anywhere that does not supply that to me.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the thrust angle is correct and then the front steering and suspension is aligned referencing the rear thrust angle and aligned correctly, that part of the equation is good and the other problems will be something else. Ride height, caster, camber, tire pressure and toe in that are set to specs and is checked correctly for any worn out components, well then your problem is elsewhere.

I have watched many an alignment tech act like they knew what they were doing but would just give a cursory sight inspection and set the toe and let it go. I always gave a before and after printout when I did an alignment and I will not get an alignment done anywhere that does not supply that to me.
Just checking, I've had similar experience as Kevan's -- 95% solved by tightening gearbox nut after confirming what you posted (yes i got a printout before/after). A big jounce will sometimes send me in a random direction but she tracks straight with a slight bit steering wheel wiggle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you jounce and get that wiggle I would lean toward a steering linkage problem. Like tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm but I would also be concerned with the control arm bushings and possible ball joints. Too many times I see ball joints checked incorrectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne