The Decision is Made

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not a hydromatic?

TH350's and TH400's are hydromatatics. The "TH" stand for "Turbo-hydromatic"

Are you planning on keeping the CPI or the TBI?

The 383 will be carbed.

You do pose a decent point with the TH350 vs TH400 transmission. Everything I have learned about them boils down to personal preference. The TH400 is all in all more heavy duty and can handle more horsepower, which seems like a decent avenue for me because if I am building a straight up drag truck, then who knows how far I will take it in the future. I would hate to end up with 600+ horsepower at the crank down the road and realize that the TH350 I built for this thing isn't going to cut it anymore, you know? The TH350 does have less of a load on the drivetrain, though... hmm....

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TH350's and TH400's are hydromatatics. The "TH" stand for "Turbo-hydromatic"

The 383 will be carbed.

You do pose a decent point with the TH350 vs TH400 transmission. Everything I have learned about them boils down to personal preference. The TH400 is all in all more heavy duty and can handle more horsepower, which seems like a decent avenue for me because if I am building a straight up drag truck, then who knows how far I will take it in the future. I would hate to end up with 600+ horsepower at the crank down the road and realize that the TH350 I built for this thing isn't going to cut it anymore, you know? The TH350 does have less of a load on the drivetrain, though... hmm....

Oh I completely agree, being that the Hoe is heavy I could understand wanting a TH400, but check out redneck trannys, they have some kickass deals on some bullet proof trannys. My buddy had a problem with the first one and they paid to ship it back and sent him another one before they even recieved the old one back. He didn't even have to drop it off, they came and picked it up and repackaged it.

My other buddy has a TH400 and he says he wishes that he would have stuck with a TH350 and hes pushing 800 ft pounds to the wheels, and the guy with the TH350 is pushing about 750 ft pounds to the rear wheels, but they are both in 3500 # cars

OP
OP
General Stalin

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... now you got my wheels turning. Maybe I'll tlak to a trans shop and see what they have to say. I mean, I was really thinking about building the trans up myself. It would be cheaper and a great learning experience, plus would get me a much deeper understanding of the mechanics and just what exactly is in my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLisn