Temp and Fuel Gauge issues related?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just replaced the fuel pump on my 99 Tahoe because the gauge wasnt working and trying to find what was causing the P0300 code. The misfire end up being due to a distributor issue which lead to us taking apart the head to repair a bad lifter n push rod. It all went together good but now my fuel guage reads empty and my temp gauge lays flat on the "hot" side. Not sure where to start and my mecanic is out of town for a bit. Any suggestions?
Also the temp gauge was broken in removal so I replaced it with a new one.

OP
OP
M

Misty

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My temp gauge broke when I removed the head, I replaced it and its reading correct on the scantool but the gauge is laying flat on the hot side with no movement whatsoever.

The fuel gauge worked before I bolted the tank back in, now it bounces when I first turn the ignition on but quickly goes back to empty. This kinda pisses me off cause this was not a hard job and I was able to do it myself with little help whereas with the replacement of the bad lifter I was shown how to by my dad but he had to leave town before I totally had it back together.

I can wait for him to get back but I am not a very patient person, I put aside this weekend to work on it so any suggestions would be great! I am going to do a much needed change onthe distributor and do some ohms testing but Ill just be winging it from then on so...... Yeah, anything will help.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The computer reads from a sensor near the thermo housing. The gauge cluster reads a separate sensor mounted on left cylinder head just above and between the two front spark plugs on that head. If that gauge is peg at hot the that sensor wire is shorting to ground. It is a dark green wire.

Fuel Gauge Inaccurate
  1. Ensure terminals are clean and terminal connections are tight.
  2. Disconnect fuel tank sender connector, then connect tester J 33431-B, or equivalent, as follows:

• Connect tester red lead to purple wire of the connector, then connect the other lead of the tester to a suitable ground.

1. Set resistance dials of tester to 0 ohms and then to 90 ohms.
  2. Gauge should read low when resistance is set to 0 ohms and read full when resistance is set to 90 ohms. Allow some time for gauge to read full due to the anti-slosh device .
  3. If gauge responds accurately, check for clean mounting surface on sending unit to ensure a good ground. If ground is good, replace sending unit.
  4. If gauge does not respond accurately, check circuit between gauge and sending unit for an open or short to ground. If circuit is satisfactory, replace gauge.
Gauge Stays at Empty This condition is generally caused by a short in the fuel tank wiring circuit.

1. Ensure fuel tank is full, then disconnect lead at fuel tank and turn ignition switch to the On position.
  2. If gauge moves but not past full mark, replace fuel tank sending unit.
  3. If gauge stays at empty, locate and repair short in circuit between gauge and fuel tank. If circuit is satisfactory, replace gauge.

If it starts at high and goes low something is wrong with the pump connector pump, ground on frame rail or assembly itself like a pinched wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288