Tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been pulled over due to having NO rear taillights after dark? As with most people, I leave my lights on Auto and assume they do their thing. I have been told more than once that while my headlights are on, my running taillights are not. If I turn my headlights to the on position, the running taillights DO come on, but according to a recent traffic stop by an officer he said he has pulled over many people who have had their lights on IN AUTO and the vehicles taillights do not illuminate. Does this make sense at all? Never had this happen on any previous vehicles, but now is a potential issue with this one....

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the new rides, but k2xx with auto enabled does light up the tail lights. Try remote starter at night and test it.

AJ_Victory_27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone been pulled over due to having NO rear taillights after dark? As with most people, I leave my lights on Auto and assume they do their thing. I have been told more than once that while my headlights are on, my running taillights are not. If I turn my headlights to the on position, the running taillights DO come on, but according to a recent traffic stop by an officer he said he has pulled over many people who have had their lights on IN AUTO and the vehicles taillights do not illuminate. Does this make sense at all? Never had this happen on any previous vehicles, but now is a potential issue with this one....
Daytime running lights are only on in the front …for now. Some automakers are adding the Tail lamp to the “Day time running lights,” but I see many people driving after dusk with only their DRL ON (No tail lights). The “Auto” switch should be turning on the Low Beams and Tail Lamps at dusk, but if there is a problem with the sensor or switch it may not activate as expected. If there is any doubt, turn your head light selector switch to ON at sunset and you should be ok at dusk, civil twilight and after dark.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daytime running lights are only on in the front …for now. Some automakers are adding the Tail lamp to the “Day time running lights,” but I see many people driving after dusk with only their DRL ON (No tail lights). The “Auto” switch should be turning on the Low Beams and Tail Lamps at dusk, but if there is a problem with the sensor or switch it may not activate as expected. If there is any doubt, turn your head light selector switch to ON at sunset and you should be ok at dusk, civil twilight and after dark.
Yes I agree, I have mine set on auto dimming and auto on the headlight selector switch. Just assumed everything worked when dark. I see that I may have to verify that now. There should never be any reason the headlights are turned on and taillights do not follow, but will be more aware now... I also wonder if there is any adjustment to the darkness sensitivity. Mine seems to wait till it's pretty dark before finally turning them on...

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the new rides, but k2xx with auto enabled does light up the tail lights. Try remote starter at night and test it.
When I remote start, they do come on.. but had a cop follow me home after dark last night and he said you have ZERO taillights. when I flipped over to always on, they came on....

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to the technical details of the newer trucks lighting systems, but I can tell you for sure that if you drive at night in NH without tail lights on, you will definitely be pulled over, and possibly ticketed, depending upon the mood of the officer.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I remote start, they do come on.. but had a cop follow me home after dark last night and he said you have ZERO taillights. when I flipped over to always on, they came on....
Have you let the vehicle do its auto on thing and then put it in park and got out and checked. If indeed the green headlight on indicator on the dash is lit, and the headlights (not the DRL) are on, and the tail lights are not….take a video and go see your dealer. Auto should turn on both the head and tail lights at the appropriate time.

I do think my Yukon turns the head/tail lights on later (as in, darker outside) than my old suburban did.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you let the vehicle do its auto on thing and then put it in park and got out and checked. If indeed the green headlight on indicator on the dash is lit, and the headlights (not the DRL) are on, and the tail lights are not….take a video and go see your dealer. Auto should turn on both the head and tail lights at the appropriate time.

I do think my Yukon turns the head/tail lights on later (as in, darker outside) than my old suburban did.
I agree and will pay close attn now….

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a recall for the daytime running lights staying on at full brightness with the headlights. I wonder if the glitch affects the tail lights such as in your case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz