Tahoe honks when steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clemenshess97

Reaction score
Hey,
so my problem is that my 2003 Tahoe keeps honking everytime I‘m steering.
I don‘t press the horn, it happens while just steering.
I had to pull the fuse to make it stop.
I read on another forum that 2003 GM‘s have their horn signal connected to the turn signal cancel cam ? and that they don‘t run through the clockspring if I understand correctly.

C41A6071-7F47-4025-A10C-0C1C47F915E9.png

Has anyone had this problem before ?

outsidemike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my first thought is a worn clock spring assembly (#2)..... but ive never had an 03 tahoe steering column apart.
need to test before buying lol, a worn wire grounding out would make it honk too

Screenshot_20201004-081325_Samsung Internet.jpg

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was anyone in there for a combination switch replacement? Look for footprints on fasteners after you remove air bag. Just going that far is quick and relatively easy. Recommend you look at the service manual to go farther.

OP
OP
clemenshess97

clemenshess97

Reaction score
Was anyone in there for a combination switch replacement? Look for footprints on fasteners after you remove air bag. Just going that far is quick and relatively easy. Recommend you look at the service manual to go farther.

I‘ll check that today.
What am I looking for in case it was changed ? Is the horn connected to the combination switch ?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you have read thru the manual, you will understand better. Everything is kind of stacked on top of each other, so dis-assembling and assembling in correct order is key. Thats why I sort of asked if anyone was in there. If you are first in, it will be reletively easy as the manual outlines items and order. If you are not the first, parts may be missing/bent/broken.I don't remember your exact column, but Ive been inside alot of them and half were follow up fixes from someone else. Pictures may help you re-assemble. Cell phones make that easy.

OP
OP
clemenshess97

clemenshess97

Reaction score
After you have read thru the manual, you will understand better. Everything is kind of stacked on top of each other, so dis-assembling and assembling in correct order is key. Thats why I sort of asked if anyone was in there. If you are first in, it will be reletively easy as the manual outlines items and order. If you are not the first, parts may be missing/bent/broken.I don't remember your exact column, but Ive been inside alot of them and half were follow up fixes from someone else. Pictures may help you re-assemble. Cell phones make that easy.

I removed the airbag and steering column covers yesterday and found a piece of sheet metal behind the clock spring (it didn‘t look original to me).
To me it seemed like the previous owner put it in there because the spring connector from the horn contact wasn‘t long enough to make contact so he put the sheet metal in there as a sort of extension, maybe the sheet metal grounded somewhere and thats why the Tahoe honked when I would turn the steering wheel. Anyway, I removed the sheet metal and the horn now works like it‘s supposed to.

Thanks for all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout