Swapping cd head unit for navi or ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeTCrAzYKiD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05' Sierra Denali. I have the XM, Onstar, CD slave changer(single in head unit also) and the RSE.

My CD slave just stopped working yesterday, I took it out and disasembled it in hopes that maybe a CD may have broken but I found that there's a cylinder that looks like it holds all the CD's in place that broke and the CD's are kinda rattling around in there.

But anyway, I'm stuck with just radio(the single doesnt work either) What can I swap in to replace the main headunit and keep the steering wheel controls. I'd hate to have them there just doing nothing. I like to use them on the fly. Would one of the stock Navi units swap in and work ok? Or what of an aftermarket unit? Sorry may be a stupid question but not sure what signals the steering wheel controls put out. And I definatly need to keep the RSE in working order too.

I was really curious if any of the Navi units would be a direct swap? Thanks for the help guys!

----EDIT: I also have the BOSE setup----

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stock navigation units are a direct swap, but you may have to take it to the dealer to get the Theftlock mode unlocked. This prevents the radio from being used in a vehicle with the wrong VIN in case it was stolen.

For GPS capabilities you will need the antenna which I think mounts somewhere under the dash. The navigation from GM would be your best bet, it is easiest to install, keeps the stock look, and works well with the RSE.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are two bose systems

the premium sound Y91 was used in the SUV denali and Escalade.
you need to check your glovebox RPO chart so you cna buy the matching Nav head.

Ifyou do have y91, they are about $100 cheaper on Ebay...

07Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at swapping out the factory bose head unit in my 04 burb (do not know if it is the same one or not) and there is an interface for the bose and the steering wheel controls. Your issue will be the rse. All the people that I have talked to have said that there is not an interface available for that and you will loose it.

My burb is 200 miles away, but will be at the house this weekend sometime so I will putt the factroy head and start playing with it to do ipod adapter etc, I will post up if I find any info out for you. (like does it still work after factory head is pulled out?)

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is RSE? i see it on my radio when i go through sources but never knew what it was

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
of course you could also just buy another 6 disc changer :) make sure it has metal ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper