Sunroof issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phisher0420

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 2002 Yukon I haven't had many issues with it but I've only owned it for 2 months my question is my sunroof has worked perfectly fine all of a sudden yesterday I come out and it will not close. I do have power to it I can hear the motor trying to push it but it only moves a half inch backwards and then clicks like it wants to vent and moves a half inch forward and that's all I get any suggestions on what I can do is there a manual way to close this damn thing it's the dead of winter in northern Minnesota and I've got snow coming I don't want to have to drive around with nothing in there

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check to see if it's on track, and/or if there's anything blocking it's movement. I do not like sun roofs for this and similar reasons, myself.

I'd also search this site, and YouTube. If you are a member of any GMT800 truck groups, you might be able to find help there, too.

Barring all that, I'd go to a body shop and see how much they would charge you to get it shut, and/or to fix it. It may be less than you think.

Good luck!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a 2002 Yukon I haven't had many issues with it but I've only owned it for 2 months my question is my sunroof has worked perfectly fine all of a sudden yesterday I come out and it will not close. I do have power to it I can hear the motor trying to push it but it only moves a half inch backwards and then clicks like it wants to vent and moves a half inch forward and that's all I get any suggestions on what I can do is there a manual way to close this damn thing it's the dead of winter in northern Minnesota and I've got snow coming I don't want to have to drive around with nothing in there
historically if the motor is working then what happens is the gear guide track cracks/breaks, to get it shut you will likely have to pull the headliner down a bit and take a look and see if you can maneuver it enough to get it closed

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a drip rail that is horizontal across the sunroof, and moves back and forth as the glass is opened and closed. Mine came off track and bent the guide rails that pull the sunroof shade towards the front a few inches as the glass closes. I had to fish this out to get the glass to open and close so I no longer have the horizontal drip rail, and the thin metal guide rails that pull the sun shade were bent so bad I was unable to use them.

My best advice is to try to see if you can look back in there and see what's causing the glass to get hung up when the motor tries to push it forward, and remove any obstruction. I was able to do this without dropping the headliner, but you may not be so lucky. If you have a DVD player in the ceiling, you might be able to drop/remove it and get access to look around without dropping the headliner.

Best of luck!