suggestions for power steering gearbox.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigb805

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Took the old hoe in to get an alignment last week and was told she couldnt be aligned due to a loose gearbox. After driving 1100 miles to Arizona and back through 50 MPH wind I realized just how bad the steering has gotten. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands of steering boxes? Is Acdelco the way to go? Not really looking for cheap I would rather just buy the good stuff and keep on movin.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the old hoe in to get an alignment last week and was told she couldnt be aligned due to a loose gearbox. After driving 1100 miles to Arizona and back through 50 MPH wind I realized just how bad the steering has gotten. Does anyone have any suggestions for brands of steering boxes? Is Acdelco the way to go? Not really looking for cheap I would rather just buy the good stuff and keep on movin.

No direct experience but my way is to go GM OE or ACDelco Professional unless I know who the original supplier was. If they offer a reman or new, I'd go new.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was gonna look it up for you but you gave no details. Hydro-boost or not? 4WD? etc......

AC Delco and new if you can.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my whole "gearbox and company" front end repair.

Got my rebuilt from Benchworks Steering Systems. I've read rebuilts are a gamble off the shelf so trying this route from an actual rebuilder shop.

I have minor issues after all these repairs that I think are alignment issues and not gearbox related. Could have been there prior, unsure.

I've heard many stories of gearboxes getting sloppy after a few months so hoping my choice proves successful.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
This is not a recommendation but rather a comment related to a personal experience so do with it what you will.

When I bought my 03 Suburban it had slop in the gearbox. Knowing full well why you shouldn't adjust it I decided to anyway. I figured if it got looser I would replace it. I made some incremental small adjustments until I was satisfied with the play it had left and daily drove it for 6 years after that in all sorts of conditions. Worked fine.

Take it for what its worth.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can tighten up the lash in there, like George did, but if the shaft has side play, time to get a new gear box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo