Suburban vs Tahoe fitment info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all brand new to forum, belong to a Corvette Forum and is extremely helpful, hoping for some help here.
so I currently have a 2001 Z/71 Suburban 1500 5.3. the body is very rusted but I love the truck and it runs perfect. so I just bought a 2001 Tahoe 5.3 I think basic model with a blown motor. I am going to swap in the motor from the Suburban which I have covered. what I would like to know is about some accessory and interior parts swapping. so here are my questions. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1)will the Tahoe harness at lights and dash accommodate the fog lights from Z/71?
2)if I decide to put my Leather interior from Burb is wire there for driver and passenger power seats?
3)My suburban has a seam in headliner about where Tahoe would end. is front section the same between trucks?
4) same as above question with carpet?
5)I assume all door panels are interchangeable? both have Barn doors
6) will Suburban Z/71 upgraded roof rack fit Tahoe.
7) is the Suburban 3rd row bench and Tahoe split seat interchangeable?
8) are the holes in floor of Tahoe to accept captains chairs(front) and center console?

the Tahoe interior is nice but its grey cloth with tan and grey plastics. Suburban is Tan leather with 2 tone tan plastics. thanks for any help. I plan on the engine swap the 6th of July, after Suburban will be getting parted out.

IMG_20190525_065205939_HDR.jpg IMG_20190617_074609544.jpg

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow duh. Until I posted these pictures I didn't realize the difference in the rear doors. guess that answers my door panel question. I don't have the Tahoe home yet so couldn't compare.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your roof racks will not switch over either. They are too long for the tahoe. Also the mid row and third row seats I believe are not interchangeable as well. I know for sure the third row isn’t because it is different design. The third row seats in the tahoe are split and fold separately where the third row in the burb is a bench and folds all together. It also mounts to the floor differently. Your front seats will switch however I’m not sure there are wires for the powered and heated seats from your burb.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aa you noticed with the doors with your pictures and the previous comment made about mounting points and vehicle length alot of the interior past the front wont be a direct swap. some of it can me made to fit aside from the passenger door panels. but how far are you willing to go to make a smaller Tahoe feel like your suburban. if you pulled out the headliner in the Tahoe and punched new holes in the roof and sealed the old roof rack holes you could swap that. same idea with seats but if your not handy with semi serious body work it wont come out as nice as you want. you could just end up with leaks and spots rusting faster than they should. swap your engine and part out the rest of the suburban and use those funds to get some of the things you want on the tahoe.

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your roof racks will not switch over either. They are too long for the tahoe. Also the mid row and third row seats I believe are not interchangeable as well. I know for sure the third row isn’t because it is different design. The third row seats in the tahoe are split and fold separately where the third row in the burb is a bench and folds all together. It also mounts to the floor differently. Your front seats will switch however I’m not sure there are wires for the powered and heated seats from your burb.
Thanks. Got it home today. Supposedly the motor had a spun bearing. I the the noise the guy heard was coming from transfer case. Still need to investigate more. Won't go in 4 low. And when switching from 4 low back to either 4 H or 2wd it crashes in.

IMG_20190618_201322129.jpg

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could check RPO codes to see if you have better gearing or maybe a locking differential. Might be easier to swap your entire rear end, not sure how your brakes are. G80 is the locking diff. Someone else might know better, but I'm wondering if your burban would have a better transmission. Might even make swapping it over easier.

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
Both of those trucks would have a 4L60E. It's possible that a lower mileage unit would be the right one to run, but the duty each one saw would also be a factor; as in a 150k trans of crusing duty would probably be better than a 100k trans that performed regular towing duty.

G80 is the code for the Eaton gov-lock traction aiding rear end. Those things are hit & miss. Taller gears are better in all cases in my opinion, and the highest gears that make sense in a longroof to me are 3.73's (RPO GT4). I have a GMT800 suburban with 3.42's and I wouldn't want to tow with it for very long. I also have a GMT800 suburban with 3.73's, but it's wearing 35" mudders so it is begging for a regear to something more ideal (4.30 or 4.56).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne