Suburban antenna question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I know this is a GMC forum more than anything but wondered if you could still help. I have an 07 Suburban 2500 and it has the worst radio I've ever seen in a vehicle. You don't get anything on the radio unless you drive by the damn radio station itself. It's the model that has the antenna in the rear window. Completely useless. Is there another antenna you could recommend that I can just plug into where the factory one is now? If it's just a wire that runs up to the dash where I can hide it, that'd be fine with me. I don't want to drill a hole for an upright antenna or anything like that outside. I'd much rather it be inside where I can hide it on the dash, or run it up to the top of the window or something. Just didn't know if there was any special adapter I needed or anything. I like the stereo, back up camera, everything about it other than the total lack of reception. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know this is a GMC forum more than anything but wondered if you could still help. I have an 07 Suburban 2500 and it has the worst radio I've ever seen in a vehicle. You don't get anything on the radio unless you drive by the damn radio station itself. It's the model that has the antenna in the rear window. Completely useless. Is there another antenna you could recommend that I can just plug into where the factory one is now? If it's just a wire that runs up to the dash where I can hide it, that'd be fine with me. I don't want to drill a hole for an upright antenna or anything like that outside. I'd much rather it be inside where I can hide it on the dash, or run it up to the top of the window or something. Just didn't know if there was any special adapter I needed or anything. I like the stereo, back up camera, everything about it other than the total lack of reception. Thanks for any info.

What kind of tint is on that back window? Certain kinds, which I don't remember, kill reception.

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What kind of tint is on that back window? Certain kinds, which I don't remember, kill reception.

Oh no kiddin? That's news to me. I really don't know, I assume it's factory tint. All I know is it's absolutely horrible. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow to look at the back of the stereo again. I don't remember what the connection looked like for the antenna but I was thinking it was something special. I'm seeing some decent aftermarket antennas on ebay, wonder if I could just run one of those up the side and place it up top somewhere. Can't be any worse than what I have now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to check to be sure you have continuity from the radio antenna connector to the back connector before it enters the glass, if there is continuity it could be a bad tuner in the radio, connecting even a makeshift antenna in place of the factory one would tell you for sure the reception shouldn't be that bad.

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might want to check to be sure you have continuity from the radio antenna connector to the back connector before it enters the glass, if there is continuity it could be a bad tuner in the radio, connecting even a makeshift antenna in place of the factory one would tell you for sure the reception shouldn't be that bad.

Ya, I did think about that, but have no idea where to do that. Is it easy to find where it connects before the glass? Didn't know if i had to take a molding off by the 2nd row seats or how that worked.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, I did think about that, but have no idea where to do that. Is it easy to find where it connects before the glass? Didn't know if i had to take a molding off by the 2nd row seats or how that worked.
ya it's back there behind the panels, if you look on youtube how to replace the rear blend door, you will see how all the trim pieces come off, easy to do. I would check at the back of radio first though if the radio has ever been pulled out the antenna connector may not be seated properly.

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ya it's back there behind the panels, if you look on youtube how to replace the rear blend door, you will see how all the trim pieces come off, easy to do. I would check at the back of radio first though if the radio has ever been pulled out the antenna connector may not be seated properly.

Yup, no problem behind the radio, already pulled it out. I think rather than even mess with those trim pieces it sounds like it'd be easier to just take the radio out again and put in some after market antenna I can stash in there, like this one, unless someone knows of something better. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2745489662...401bb98673807399c4a5|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could also be the module above the back window as well. Seems like your going to need to troubleshoot like others said. Here is the part that may be in question.

0a6ff150c5e27ae4ba00f8143fc675fd.jpg
b189312931a4a86c81e5c7dae64d2702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It could also be the module above the back window as well. Seems like your going to need to troubleshoot like others said. Here is the part that may be in question.

0a6ff150c5e27ae4ba00f8143fc675fd.jpg
b189312931a4a86c81e5c7dae64d2702.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that diagram, that's pretty useful. The way it's looking though, I may just pull the radio out and throw in an aftermarket antenna at this point. If the part is no long available and there's a chance that the tint is causing problems, I don't think I'll even bother with it. Thanks for time, info and help guys.

OP
OP
b robinson

b robinson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I installed a different antenna that is on my windshield, and it's just as useless as the one in the back window. Thought I would ask what you all thought because it's my contention that the radio is just garbage. I don't want to replace it because of all the extra $$ I'd have to spend to make the backup camera work, etc etc.....so the question is, is there some sort of powered antenna I can use to gain access to radio? This is the worst radio I've ever had, by far. Hoping someone has some info that's useful. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts