Sub enclosure Ideas ?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work. Interested to see this completed and buttoned up.

Been doing this a loooong time. Started when I was 20, working for a small stereo shop, gradually started doing installs on my own. Did a Mustang Hatchback with (6) Cerwin Vega 12's, a Trans Am with (3) Kicker 15's, and a little Ford Ranger Extended Cab with (8) American Bass 10's. Too much, too loud!!!

As for my own vehicles, I had a S-10 Blazer that I cut the wheelwell completely out, and made a rectangular enclosure to fit a 15" Image Dynamics sub. I then had a '90 Old-school Suburban, I fabbed up an enclosure for (2) Celestion 15's on one side, and then had a whole wall of bins above it and on the opposite side for tools and supplies. That also had a center console that started against the dash then came up over the front bench seat, that held (2) 10's.

Then came my '96 Tahoe, built enclosures similar to this one on both sides, had the Celestions in each rear corner, as well as a center console housing the (2) Powerbass 10's and (3) amps. I sold that last summer, the body was falling apart, but the guy that bought it was going to use that console in his Denali.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Nsv3 18s
2 crossfire 8ks

I'm a member on caraudioclassifeds.org and caraudio.com

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
@BigDaddy13440 That is pretty legit. Wouldn't mind seeing some of your other work. I done only one similar job like that to my hatchback mustang. I removed the rear seats and used the dip where the seat cushions were to house and make the air space for the 2 12" subs. It turned out pretty nice and for my first real fab job I did pretty good. Wish I still had my old Razor phone with the pics on it. I ended up tearing it out bc I found that my rear seats were needed more than I expected. Not gunna go into detail with what the back seats were for but use your imagination lol. Other than that iv only built single sub enclosures and modified other to fit my needs.

Your build is a lil more than I want to take on for now and I would like to leave the factory panels in place. But your build did give me a good insight to what I may be looking into if I build that enclosure. Reps sent. Thanks for the feed back and spreading your knowledge.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the idea of sub in custom quarter panel. Saves the limited space we all have behind 3rd row.

I'm running a JL 12" 3v3 4 ohm sub. I picked this sub specifically based on small space requirements for a sealed box.

Had a custom built/tuned box built and installed behind my 3rd row seat. I still have use of the right side and space on top of the box. Very happy with the results. I'm able to quick disconnect it if I need use of space for family trips.

I was running a kicker ix1000.5 for power but bought an Arc Audio 1200.6 last week. I'm having it installed song with new Focal K2 6.5" components in front, moving hertz components to rear and an Audison Bit Ten D DSP with DRC to replace the current Lc6I LOC.

image.jpeg

ridingagain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just went through this myself, trying to decide between the options. I ended up getting the stealthbox on ebay for $400, and I'm so glad I did. It sounds incredible, unless you're doing a large box in the rear, I cant imagine the other openings delivering the same sound quality.

I have 2 12's in a subthump box in my D-max, and the stealthbox sounds better and hit's harder. I was pretty blown away with how good the base sounds from it. I had one years ago in the older style center console, and there's no comparison to the newer one.

Install was really easy, a little work tightening bolts from under the truck in a tight space, but pretty straight forward. The only negative, is the sound is really geared for the front stage, and not nearly as impressive sitting in the back seats. This didnt matter to me, it might to others.

You must have been the one that beat me out of ebay bid so i had to buy new....
I'm going to be installing mine soon. Good to know install is easy. Did you have to sound deaden or foam the console area to avoid rattles?

Jesburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did use just a little bit of dynamat type deadener, but very little. I did my whole stereo system at the time, so I used it mostly for the doors and had it available. I just used a little where the brackets for the bose amp was, and where I drilled through the floor.

It doesnt rattle much at all, unless you leave things in your console where the cup holders are. Loose change, phones etc. will drive you nuts bouncing with the bass up. I tightened up the stealthbox snug from underneath, so far I'm really happy with it. Let me know how you like it.

OP
OP
AppocAlexx

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Love the idea of sub in custom quarter panel. Saves the limited space we all have behind 3rd row.

I'm running a JL 12" 3v3 4 ohm sub. I picked this sub specifically based on small space requirements for a sealed box.

Had a custom built/tuned box built and installed behind my 3rd row seat. I still have use of the right side and space on top of the box. Very happy with the results. I'm able to quick disconnect it if I need use of space for family trips.

I was running a kicker ix1000.5 for power but bought an Arc Audio 1200.6 last week. I'm having it installed song with new Focal K2 6.5" components in front, moving hertz components to rear and an Audison Bit Ten D DSP with DRC to replace the current Lc6I LOC.

View attachment 61512

Now that I have found my third row seating I can look at doing this and see what kind of space I'm actually working with. A box like this would be the easiest thing I could and I feel you on having the quick disconnects for easy removal when needed, I'm sure ill run into the problem if I throw a box back there at some point in time. Which is another reason that makes me want to do a quarter panel box now.

Denaliz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have found my third row seating I can look at doing this and see what kind of space I'm actually working with. A box like this would be the easiest thing I could and I feel you on having the quick disconnects for easy removal when needed, I'm sure ill run into the problem if I throw a box back there at some point in time. Which is another reason that makes me want to do a quarter panel box now.

I have a wife and 3 kids so we do utilize the space at times. I had Car Toys build to box to JL specs. Sounds incredible and my specific sub is. Made for smaller enclosures. I know Sun Down has a model too.

I chose to keep running the center console Bose sub and bypassed all other speakers and upgraded them. Running a 5 channel amplified system on a 6 channel Arc Audio Amp. Channels 5&6 are bridged for more power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed