Strut with level spacer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Just rebuilt my front struts with bilstein 4600. The top has a leveling spacer attached. Reinstalling I can not get the bottom of strut into the perches. I have used a hydraulic Jack under the strut knuckle to compress it, but I end up lifting the entire front end.

I have removed the sway bar link for slight extra room to push the CA’s down but still can’t get enough space.

So now my truck is up on Jack stands in the driveway and I’m out of ideas?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2011 z71 Tahoe

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Myfirstz71 What you need to do if pop the upper ball joint out and then attach the lower strut mount to the lower control arm, then mount the the top of the strut, then youll jack up the lower control arm to get the upper ball joint into the knuckle again. At this point you should also be running aftermarket upper control arms.

OP
OP
M

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Truck came this way and I wasn’t sure about the spacer until I had the old one out. Figured what comes out, should go back in………. ‍♂️

I will look into the new upper CA’s. Is there a suggestion on brand, lift items are all new to me.

OP
OP
M

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
@Myfirstz71 What you need to do if pop the upper ball joint out and then attach the lower strut mount to the lower control arm, then mount the the top of the strut, then youll jack up the lower control arm to get the upper ball joint into the knuckle again. At this point you should also be running aftermarket upper control arms.
I took care of this first thing this morning. Your advice was spot on. I took my time and was careful with all the brake lines and ABS wires. Went together easy peasy. Had to vice grip the ball joint stud to eliminate spinning on one side, but that was it.
Thank you!!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Myfirstz71 Glad to hear man! There are a few options for aftermarket lift style upper control arms, freedom offroad, rough country forged upper control arms, or kryptonite upper control arms.

I have the rough country upper control arms and they have been good to me and allow more suspension travel, had to cut the bump stop under the upper control arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep