Stock suspension re-fresh - and Snow Plow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3Dog

Reaction score
I did a search on here for "snow plow" and came up with nothing, so:

I have been considering buying a dedicated beater pickup with a snow plow, just to plow my 1000' private driveway. The more I think about it, the more I think I should just set up my Tahoe to mount a plow for occasional use. I know my Tahoe very well, and it's maintenance history. It runs perfect at 150k miles. By the time I would find a dedicated plow truck, and brought it up to my maintenance standards, thinking I should just use the Tahoe.

So the front suspension is likely stock (except for the shocks which appear aftermarket - I bought it used). I am NOT looking for a level or a lift, but I DO think I should refresh the suspension up front. And maybe a very slight lift (0.5 to 1 inch max) to accommodate the weight of the plow.

I currently have the left side torsion bar almost maxed out, to make up for the typical port-side lean on these trucks. And that is just to make it back to stock ride height.

So my questions:
- anyone running a snow plow on a stock Tahoe? Any thoughts, words of caution, or advice?
- what should I consider to refresh the suspension for this purpose, while maintaining stock ride height and comfort of the ride when I don't have the plow on (which most of the time, the plow will not be mounted)
- should I refresh the torsion bars as well? Or new keys?
- I am going to use new Bilstein 4600HD all around.

Thanks in advance.

Here is my ride as she sits:

qCo36rN.jpg

OP
OP
3Dog

3Dog

Reaction score

Thanks @GreyStone for the links to pictures of Tahoes with snow plows installed.

I know it CAN be done. My questions were a little more specific than that. Let me repeat the questions from the OP:

So my questions:
- anyone here running a snow plow on a stock Tahoe? Any thoughts, words of caution, or advice?
- what should I consider to refresh the suspension for this purpose, while maintaining stock ride height and comfort of the ride when I don't have the plow on (which most of the time, the plow will not be mounted)

Thanks.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Having lived in Missouri winters for over 35 years and having pickups to attach a plow to and plowing snow, I can tell you that the wear and tear on the front end and frame are proportionately greater and I myself, would not subject my daily driver to that but would do it to a beater pickup. I have no input about what to do to your Tahoe front end because I would not do it. Get a beater and replace only what is absolutely necessary to plow snow with and add on repairs as needed and drive your Tahoe with no problems. Again, IMO.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @GreyStone for the links to pictures of Tahoes with snow plows installed.

I know it CAN be done. My questions were a little more specific than that. Let me repeat the questions from the OP:

So my questions:
- anyone here running a snow plow on a stock Tahoe? Any thoughts, words of caution, or advice?

Thanks.

Had one on my 01 and transferred it to my 13

Both stock, i cranked the stock keys a little on the 01 and added timbrens... also had bilstien 46’s and very little to no droop. Timbrens are the best thing you can do. Truck rode just like stock with and without plow. Add couple bags of samd to the rear when plowing and you won’t even feel the plow

13 is all stock.

I do the same .. long private drive only and occasionally a friend neighbor.
Remember these are 1500’s get lightest plow you can... all this said it beats the crap out of the hubs so replace them if you haven’t already.

I put a snowdogg md75 on and it was probably the easiest plow to mount ive ever used and ive been in the northeast plowing since before i was legal to drive, very little trimming to the bumper and a light plow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3Dog

3Dog

Reaction score
Had one on my 01 and transferred it to my 13

Both stock, i cranked the stock keys a little on the 01 and added timbrens... also had bilstien 46’s and very little to no droop. Timbrens are the best thing you can do. Truck rode just like stock with and without plow. Add couple bags of samd to the rear when plowing and you won’t even feel the plow

13 is all stock.

I do the same .. long private drive only and occasionally a friend neighbor.
Remember these are 1500’s get lightest plow you can... all this said it beats the crap out of the hubs so replace them if you haven’t already.

I put a snowdogg md75 on and it was probably the easiest plow to mount ive ever used and ive been in the northeast plowing since before i was legal to drive, very little trimming to the bumper and a light plow.

Great info, very helpful response. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep