Stock height of Z71 vs LT/LTZ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dheadv8q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much of a difference is there? I'm considering a Pedders Touring which is supposed to be a 2.5/3 drop. But I assume that's based on a standard suspension height, and I'm not sure if the Z71 is significantly higher or just stiffer. Eyeballing mine, I am not sure I want to go lower than a 2.5/3 from the Z71 height. especially with the 18s (which I'm quite happy with).

ICON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Belltech 2/3 kit, I am actually really happy with it. Its definitely lower than I imagined. I've also done the 2/3 kit on a Denali and my Z71 sits lower. Im a fan of the 18s too, but when lowered with the fender flares the wheels look tiny! Its crazy. I would definitely recommend upgrading wheels as well.

OP
OP
dheadv8q

dheadv8q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love to see a pic. How is the ride compared to the Z71?

I went with the Belltech 2/3 kit, I am actually really happy with it. Its definitely lower than I imagined. I've also done the 2/3 kit on a Denali and my Z71 sits lower. Im a fan of the 18s too, but when lowered with the fender flares the wheels look tiny! Its crazy. I would definitely recommend upgrading wheels as well.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you want to lower a Z71? My '09 LTZ 4X4 appears to be almost exactly the same height as a stock Z71, maybe the slightest bit lower, but I have 285/45 22's on factory 22's instead of the usual 20's.

ICON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill snap some pics tomorrow afternoon and post em. Of course I feel the bumps in the road a little more because its lower to the ground, but it actually doesn't ride all that bad. I was told that replacing the z71 shocks with a sport shock would smooth the ride out. I've had it lowered for about a week now and am happy with the ride. Maybe when I throw the 24's on ill think about swapping shocks, but who knows.

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with lowering a Z71 with a simple 2/3 drop.
The offroad capibilities that a stock height Z71 are capable of can easily be done with a 2/3 dropped Z71! I can understand if it was dropped 3/5 or more and people were like "dude what were you thinking?"
But with a 2/3, there is nothing wrong with that to me.

I want to see pics too :D

OP
OP
dheadv8q

dheadv8q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you want to lower a Z71?
a. I have a wife who has a broken back and needs the best ride quality I can provide. Plus she has difficulty hauling herself up into it. Even though this is 'my' truck, and most of the time she will ride in the Deville, that doesn't give me a pass on doing what I can.
b. I'm not trying to create a low rider - however 98% of the time this truck will be on pavement. The 2% it will not won't be going up the Rubicon. I've had what many consider for its time to be the best 4x4 created - a 2" lifted '79 CJ7 Golden Eagle - built 304 with quadratrack. I can tell you it had more guts than I did!
c. If the Pedders kit will increase ride quality and handling to me its a win-win. Plus, lowering the profile slightly will improve mileage.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From all the lowered SUVs I have riden in, the ride quality always suffered when compared to stock. That's if you are wanting to retain the stock softness and rebound. With that said I do prefer the stiffness of properly dropped or lifted trucks.

If you are doing this for your wife's back I would not recommend this. Yes she will have an easier time getting in but the time spend riding will not be pleasant for her. At least ride in a truck that has the same drop kit you are thinking of.

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with lowering a Z71 with a simple 2/3 drop.
The offroad capibilities that a stock height Z71 are capable of can easily be done with a 2/3 dropped Z71! I can understand if it was dropped 3/5 or more and people were like "dude what were you thinking?"
But with a 2/3, there is nothing wrong with that to me.

I want to see pics too :D

If you don't mind bashing rocker panels, front fascia, rear quater panels, then yes, it will do about the same. otherwise, umm, no.

ICON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the picture quality. Thats the Belltech 2/3 kit.

Attachments

• 21-4.jpg
    21-4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 21-1.jpg
    21-1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 21-3.jpg
    21-3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 21-5.jpg
    21-5.jpg