Steering wheel controls not functional

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali12

Reaction score
12 Yukon Denali all steering wheel controls quit working except for the heated steering wheel. #3 fuse on the side of the dash is for steering wheel backlight. I don’t see any other fuses for the steering wheel. Anyone experience this that can advise where to start?

All not working:
Volume up/down
Source
Track up/down
Call/mic
Cruise control buttons

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 5

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12 Yukon Denali all steering wheel controls quit working except for the heated steering wheel. #3 fuse on the side of the dash is for steering wheel backlight. I don’t see any other fuses for the steering wheel. Anyone experience this that can advise where to start?

All not working:
Volume up/down
Source
Track up/down
Call/mic
Cruise control buttons
Only thing I can think of is that it sounds like a connector or wiring issue to me. I'd be inclined to pull the covers off the column and trace the wires to their connectors in the chain, make sure they're tight.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is that it sounds like a connector or wiring issue to me. I'd be inclined to pull the covers off the column and trace the wires to their connectors in the chain, make sure they're tight.
Thank you! Planning to pull every fuse today, will do this as well. About a year ago a car wash ran the truck through with the sunroof open. Could finally be catching up with me.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
All fuses were unfortunately ok. The wiring at the column seems clean & connected. Took a few shots for reference. This is entering an area about my pay grade. Going to seek help.

BFEA1FD9-8FF3-40CC-9BFD-A73CB7D92F2E.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E7CC472-B52B-464B-9721-CAC5C6056BDF.jpeg
    9E7CC472-B52B-464B-9721-CAC5C6056BDF.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 6

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see some electrical talk and shrink wrap on some of those wires that doesn't make sense to me. It's been a while since I've been in there on one of these so maybe that's factory, but it seems odd.

OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
Dealer says it's the Steering wheel coil aka clock spring. $995 to have them do it. I can get the part online for $192. + $220 GMC diagnostic fee. Anyone do this before? Pics to follow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Denali12

Denali12

Reaction score
I ordered a new clock spring online & did the install using the attached videos. Be sure to disconnect the battery before removing the airbag, which one of the videos forgets. My upper casing had to come off the column in order to remove the clock spring. There was a Torx bolt that can only be reached once the lower casing has been removed. Look directly up next to the ignition. You'll need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the clock sporing. Otherwise very straight forward repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts