Steering "death wobble" at highway speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virginiabound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems that when I hit bumps at 45 and over, I get the dreaded death wobble symptoms of solid axle trucks. The wheel physically turns left and right at a one or two inch movement back and forth. If I'm turning a slight left or right bend it always does this as well.

The truck is silky smooth at highway speed when on smooth pavement going straight, I believe the issue is related to steering/alignment rather than balancing. I've checked for play by lifting the front end and shaking the wheel left right and up down, everything feels tight and correct.

I've searched only to find advice of steering stabilizers, I feel this is an issue of worn parts or alignment and would like some help in the right direction.

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

There is also binding at full turn at slow speeds, like pulling into a parking space.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the control arm bushings? Sometimes it takes more force to move the control arms back and forth than what you can apply just by trying to move the wheels back and forth with your hands.

OP
OP
V

Virginiabound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apologizes in advanced, as I just picked it up a month or so ago. I suppose the problem is my ignorance of Chevrolet IFS. :hmmm2:

The front tires do have some play side to side, a very minor amount with my jerking back and forth with all my strength. The truck has 257k miles on it and I subjected the play to be acceptable, it follows through the tie rod and seems to be a loose steering box.

It's odd at how tight the truck feels on the road, it drives tight and straight until I'm slightly turning in a highway bend and hitting a bumpy patch. It then shakes and wobbles and if I hold the wheel firm it will smooth back out after a few seconds.

I had to rotate the tires as I was experiencing pull to the right, it has been corrected and it seems one of the tires was causing radial pull. I'm curious if it isn't something else with the tires causing this wobble.

I have trouble turning into parking spaces without binding up front, like the tire is pushing the pavement after a certain amount of wheel turn.

I'm full of derp when it comes to this truck, forgive me!

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

What should I look at when checking control arm bushings? Wear or movement with the front end up?

JenneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two questions. :)

What's your tire pressure?

When you tested your front wheels for play were both wheel on the ground, elevated or just one up at a time?

I would suspect a worn pitman or idler arm. I wouldn't suspect an alignment issue.

OP
OP
V

Virginiabound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tire pressure is 60psi in all four. The tires are Michelin ltx load E.

I did inspect the idler and pitman, how loose is too loose? Like I said, I had very slight side to side movement. This was with both sides individually lifted, should I lift both up at once and check?

tony4143

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 psi is way high. Most should be 40. How are the shocks??

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Both should be in the air lifted when checking.

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 psi is way high. Most should be 40. How are the shocks??

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Both should be in the air lifted when checking.

Not for a E-Range tire. 60psi is fine

Any more info you can give us? Is the truck lifted, lowered or stock?

OP
OP
V

Virginiabound

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's a factory truck, 245's and a slight crank of the torsion bars.

615450_369337649824474_953485428_o.jpg

Doesn't it look as if it has some camber issues with the front? Look at the front compared to the rear.

I jacked both sides up simultaneously and checked for play again, there is some obvious play but it seems to be steering rbox, idler and pitman look good. The vehicle came with a maintenance log from the previous owner, it had new shocks replaced 40,*** miles ago.

I suppose if nothing else, I'll take it for an alignment Tuesday, if anything is worn out I'll have it addressed. I hate using mechanics for ANYTHING, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest , and this is my honest opinion, with those amount of miles it could be EVERYTHING . I had similar issues pre lift and decided it was time for a major overhaul
I changed out my Steering box, idler arm, pitman arm, and outer tie rods , shocks and ball joints . now my truck is tight as a nuns ass

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the ball joints. At 270K on my 96 both lowers were goig and I had a nasty rattle and front end shimmy. Nice looking truck.

My 99 project LT Tahoe with two cracked heads.

DSCN0076.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10