Starter problems ... spinning but not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bulldogrsp61

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is a Yukon/tahoe forum ... but Im desperate for help with my Silverado ...

(lengthy but I want to get all the info I can in the post because I cannot figure out WHAT the heck is going on)

I have a 97 Chevy Z-71 with a 350 and automatic transmission. 200k+ miles

I'm having a WEIRD issue with it not starting.

A month or so ago I replaced the solenoid on the starter after I broke the small post trying to reinstall the starter after I had it tested because it wasn't engaging .. spinning but not engaging. After I replaced the solenoid it started fine for a month or so. The small wire from the switch was kinda burned but no bare wire that I could see so I left it, but took the precaution of wrapping it in electrical tape just in case.

About a week ago we had the same issue. You can hear spinning but nothing engaging the flywheel when you turn the key. At a loss, I replaced the starter AND the new solenoid (the new starter came with a new solenoid). Noticed the wire again but didn't replace it.

Started right up. We drove it home and thought everything was fine. It started several times over the course of about two or three days. Then ... again ... turn the key, spinning, no starting.

This time I figured it HAD to be that wire. We disconnected the wire completely to try to recreate the issue but when we did that it didn't spin at all.

So I left the wire off (it was late) and the next day I picked up some 12-guage wire, cut out the 8" of wire that was burned from the manifold shield to the solenoid, spliced in the good wire, took the precaution to wrap it in some heat shielding tape and it started right up. I even checked the flywheel teeth when I took it off as best I could and they appear to be fine other than what I would consider expected 200k miles of wear.

Well, that was yesterday. Since I replaced the wire, it was literally started six times. Once after I replaced the wire, drove it down a rough dirt road to see if something was going to shake loose (nope), then again 15min after I got back to the house. An hour later my son started it again and basically took it down the same road with no issues. Then he took it 4 miles to his girlfriends house. Started it again when he left. Started it this morning when he went to school, and this afternoon it did the SAME THING AGAIN ! ! ! ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I went up and disconnected and reconnected the battery but that didn't work. I even thought maybe there's not enough juice in the battery (its a stretch but I am really at a loss) ... nope ... the jumper cables had no effect.

So, PLEASE, can anyone give me an idea on what is going on with this truck? Everything I've looked up has been 'replace the solenoid' ... 'starter must be bad'.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF Scott ... glad you made it over here.

Hopefully the OBSers will be able to help you out.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

lulz, you've been a member here for a while ... so welcome back is what I should be saying. :)

OP
OP
B

bulldogrsp61

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weird that I've got no replies here ...

... anyway ...

UPDATE :

After reading the replies here, I went ahead and took the remanufactured starter that I'd gotten back and had them exchange it for a BRAND NEW one (I just paid the $50 difference). Installed it Saturday morning.

Worked like a charm.

Until this afternoon. EXACT SAME THING. Spins but doesn't engage. I even tried leaving it in DRIVE and REVERSE and pushing it to turn the flywheel to a get different teeth to contact the starter. Nothing.

When I installed it Saturday I didn't just LOOK at the flywheel, I felt it.

While there were a couple of teeth that you could tell were damaged or chipped, none were broke off or missing.

So now I've got the same problem again and once again I'm completely clueless as to why.

I guess I could half shim it (on the outside) and that would lean it into the flywheel more.

Thoughts?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I wouldn't til just wear out the starter. The flywheel could be causin it to slip since you say it has a couple chips. Other then that don't know what would cause it. Don't think it's a short..

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did the starter come from and what brand?
Autozone is not well known for good starters. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 to get a good one.
Really not much it can be but the starter. The small wire you took off, is the ignition wire. Turn the key this tells the starter to start.

As long as you have 12v to the starter. (12v give or take) from the battery, and 12v from the small wire when you turn the key.
Bad ground or bad starter.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

You can also try giving www.fullsizechevy.com a try.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
loose/frayed wire/bad connection on the starter power wire or the battery

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bulldog, you said you put it in gear to try to move the flywheel to a different position. Is this thing a manual tranny? If so I'd start looking at neutral safety switches and clutch safety switch. Could be a sticking switch. Even an auto tranny I'd check the neutral safety for repetitive problem. Post and answer and let us know

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro

Latest posts