squeek in the column? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've replaced the clockspring, greased the boot at the firewall, doesn't seem like I can get at anything else without disassembling entire column. Anybody have a definite fix for this?

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it constant or at slow speeds? If it's at low speed and warm it's probably the boot, I believe there is a newer model number, dont remember what year they started using it.

OP
OP
slocaddy

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say low speeds, cause you really only hear it with full revolutions of the wheel.
I swear it sounds like it's directly behind steering wheel, I've heard others discribe this same sound aamong other gmt900 (pickups /other suv's)
I'll check boot again Tomorrow, thanks.

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 09 Tahoe that did that, I actually took a file to the inside of the boot and then greased it.

Greeco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2013 Tahoe makes a whining sound when I first turn the wheel after it has been sitting for more than 15 minutes. Seems to go away after the first 2-3 turns but I'm sure it's a precursor to a costly fix. Had it at the dealership last month before the factory warranty expired and they couldn't duplicate the sound.......yeah, sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slocaddy

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it's not literally "all the time" but man does it sure make it sound like you drive a peice of junk.
Regreased the boot, still the same, got a stethoscope, and deff pinpointed to basically upper part of colum, must be bearing or somthing up there, wonder how difficult these columns are to take apart.......

Denalievv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely makes you feel like you are driving a piece of junk. I actually just had mine in the dealership this week after greasing everything, etc... They are saying it's the steering gear.

I found the following article and confirmed that my rack is moving in the right bushing, so I was thinking of trying that first.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/gm-simple-steering-noise-fix/

vinnyray

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I had the dealer tell me it was the steering gear which it was not.

I never checked that bushing on my Tahoe, traded in so I no longer need to. This site references a TSB for similar issues as well.

Denalievv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced the rack to frame bushing, and while it did help the noise is still there. Any other ideas?

OP
OP
slocaddy

slocaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe mine is in the colum (verified by stethoscope ) must be a bearing /race??......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Angelo217