Squeaky lower control arm bushings when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@PNW VietVet Not sure what you mean, all of my control arms are about 1 year old. Premium MOOG for the lowers and Rough Country forged control arms up top.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What I meant is doing the whole arm assembly and not replacing ball joints and bushings on the old arm. I did not know you did the whole arm.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was starting to squeek too. I also have the moogs. I greased the upper and lower ball joints and the noise went away.
@Tozan I think you are into something. I went through the car wash today and the squeak has turned into more of a balljoint sound that I can hear when turning the wheel sometimes. I will lube them up tomorrow. Is this something to be concerned of? These lower control arm units are only a year or 2 old

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Turning noise=ball joints. Jouncing noise=bushings
Actually I was thinking the same thing. Mine was making the noise when bouncing not turning.

So, I started out lubing the crap out of the bushings to no avail I was getting ready to pull them apart to grease them up. Then I decided to grease the ball joints first and that fixed the problem.

So, I think it could be either way sometime.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I was thinking the same thing. Mine was making the noise when bouncing not turning.
So, I started out lubing the crap out of the bushings to no avail I was getting ready to pull them apart to grease them up. Then I decided to grease the ball joints first and that fixed the problem.

So, I think it could be either way sometime.
@MO VietVet @Tozan You will both be disappointed to hear what I found. I went under the Tahoe today with a grease gun to fill the lower ball joints and what I found is that there is grease coming out of the top of the ball joint boots. It seems that when I undid the upper ball joint a month or so ago the knuckle must have flopped around and torn the boot while the upper ball joint was disconnected. What a pain this will be to fix.