Spark Plugs wires and coil packs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some info on a tune up kit. Just swapped out my motor in my 07 Tahoe Ltz. 129 k miles on it. I want to throw a good set of plugs wires and coil packs in it. It runs great smooth as hell but I just want to change it all just for my piece of mind. Should I go with the complete AC Delco plugs wires and coil pack or is there a better option that will have me running better. Thank you as always for the info!!!!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some info on a tune up kit. Just swapped out my motor in my 07 Tahoe Ltz. 129 k miles on it. I want to throw a good set of plugs wires and coil packs in it. It runs great smooth as hell but I just want to change it all just for my piece of mind. Should I go with the complete AC Delco plugs wires and coil pack or is there a better option that will have me running better. Thank you as always for the info!!!!

OEM stuff took it 129K miles and is still going with smooth operation- why deviate from that? I'm all about a simple, bolt-on upgrade "while I'm in there". But, there's nothing to be gained in this area. Just be careful when shopping for the ACDelco stuff. Get "OE" or "Original Equipment". Not "Gold" or "Silver" or "Advantage" or "Professional". If you have to save the money, get "Professional" or "Gold". They're aftermarket, but supposedly are of acceptable quality per GM. All this is especially true with the wires. For the plugs, NGK Iridiums are a great aftermarket choice. Be cautious of the half-priced plugs on Amazon and likely eBay as they are almost guaranteed to be counterfeit. Running these is a high risk.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OEM stuff took it 129K miles and is still going with smooth operation- why deviate from that? I'm all about a simple, bolt-on upgrade "while I'm in there". But, there's nothing to be gained in this area. Just be careful when shopping for the ACDelco stuff. Get "OE" or "Original Equipment". Not "Gold" or "Silver" or "Advantage" or "Professional". If you have to save the money, get "Professional" or "Gold". They're aftermarket, but supposedly are of acceptable quality per GM. All this is especially true with the wires. For the plugs, NGK Iridiums are a great aftermarket choice. Be cautious of the half-priced plugs on Amazon and likely eBay as they are almost guaranteed to be counterfeit. Running these is a high risk.
+1. I only buy plugs from either Rock Auto or my local Napa store.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1. I only buy plugs from either Rock Auto or my local Napa store.

Yup. It's worth it to buy from a trusted supplier. Them half-price plugs can easily cost you a full-price engine. In 2020, I found some half-priced NGKs on eBay. I had the seller send me all kinds of pics before I committed. They were genuine NOS from a buyout which he priced along the current Amazon "deals". I lucked up. These days, I'd just play it safe and shell out the cash. Small price to pay for something that easily lasts 150K miles.

OP
OP
FINALTOUCHFRI

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Point taken! I just bought this 129k motor for $2,800 with a $900 install in Dec so I wanted to start fresh. Just transferred plugs wires and coil packs from my old motor and just last week I had to change one coil pack and wire for a misfire. Runs super smooth with no codes just figured I change it all so I didn't have mis match equipment. Those old plugs and all haven't been changed for at least 120K miles

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FINALTOUCHFRI

Based on your last post, I would completely agree with getting new stuff. I would start with a good set of new AC Delco plugs and see how she runs. Coils to go bad, but it's not super common. If the old coils had to work harder due to worn plugs, that may have caused your 1 failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14

Latest posts