[SOLVED] Instrument Cluster upgrade issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got a 2015 Suburban the other week, I hooked it up to my MDI and loaded up SPS and saw some updates for the instrument cluster. I went ahead and ran it, but now my DIC screen is staying off when I turn the key or truck on. I have tried disconnecting the battery, as well as running the flash again, but no joy. Did I screw something up somehow?

Thanks

OP
OP
Brendan Shurilla

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
update - after pulling the battery cables and putting them back on again the truck has lost all features. i.e. express up/down does not work on the windows, rainsense wipers are always on, forward collision alert is always lit, etc..

OP
OP
Brendan Shurilla

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
update - after pulling the battery cables and putting them back on again the truck has lost all features. i.e. express up/down does not work on the windows, rainsense wipers are always on, forward collision alert is always lit, etc..
ok, this was fixed by pulling all bcm fuses and those are back to normal. Back to just the instrument cluster being messed up.

OP
OP
Brendan Shurilla

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yep, everything I can test with the MDI works, but I don't see anyway to test the DIC.

OP
OP
Brendan Shurilla

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fixed it - had to do a USB programming through SPS - took about 40 minutes after plugging the USB stick into the truck, but everything is back up and running.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed it - had to do a USB programming through SPS - took about 40 minutes after plugging the USB stick into the truck, but everything is back up and running.
how did you figure that out? what did the update address? I was driving mine the other night and I noticed the cluster backlight was flickering but after about a mile or so it stopped
did the mdi/sps instruct you to use a usb stick?

OP
OP
Brendan Shurilla

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, the update addresses flickering, in my case I was running the update as I am prepping to add Android Auto in the truck. There is a TSB about the flickering. I had posted in a different forum about the same issue, and one of the first things mentioned was checking if there was a setup or configuration option in SPS besides the programming. There wasn't, however there was a USB programming option. None of us thought that was it, so we skipped it and continued troubleshooting. This was on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime I had scheduled an appointment at the dealer to #1 take care of some open recalls, but I was also going to have them try to fix the cluster. In a last ditch attempt this morning I decided to try the USB programming option. Had to grab a USB and plug it into the computer I am using for SPS, (had to be formatted to fat32) SPS had me select the USB drive, it then downloaded the file to the stick, then I plugged the drive into the USB port under the center console, and it took about a minute, then the radio screen asked if I wanted to update. Took about 30-40 minutes to apply the update, but once it finished the DIC came back on, and everything in the truck went back to normal. I still have a bunch of other things that I need to fix - GPS antenna, transfer case actuator won't learn, passenger left hand window won't roll down, air suspension, etc.. but the cluster and DIC are back to normal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the update addresses flickering, in my case I was running the update as I am prepping to add Android Auto in the truck. There is a TSB about the flickering. I had posted in a different forum about the same issue, and one of the first things mentioned was checking if there was a setup or configuration option in SPS besides the programming. There wasn't, however there was a USB programming option. None of us thought that was it, so we skipped it and continued troubleshooting. This was on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime I had scheduled an appointment at the dealer to #1 take care of some open recalls, but I was also going to have them try to fix the cluster. In a last ditch attempt this morning I decided to try the USB programming option. Had to grab a USB and plug it into the computer I am using for SPS, (had to be formatted to fat32) SPS had me select the USB drive, it then downloaded the file to the stick, then I plugged the drive into the USB port under the center console, and it took about a minute, then the radio screen asked if I wanted to update. Took about 30-40 minutes to apply the update, but once it finished the DIC came back on, and everything in the truck went back to normal. I still have a bunch of other things that I need to fix - GPS antenna, transfer case actuator won't learn, passenger left hand window won't roll down, air suspension, etc.. but the cluster and DIC are back to normal.
I haven't hooked my mdi to tisweb yet for my 2018, is it still $40 for the 2 years (per vin) or does the mdi have to use a separate subscription?

OP
OP
Brendan Shurilla

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
SPS is still $40 thankfully, I also did a 3 day sub for GDS, but it looks like it gave me 30 days instead, so that was nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts