Soft8 hole style alloys and vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
F58C164F-804D-4171-8E9E-D74ED74AF31C.jpeg

Hello Guys

I have a tahoe 2008 with soft8 hole alloys and since i fitted them i have vibrations from 70-85mph.

Gloss modular soft8
17x8
ET10
110 center hole

But even with centric spacers from 110 to 78,1 the vibration stays.

265/70/17 Tyres on them

Do you also have this?
Is it tyre related?

Or are there better alloys with the same style and no vibrations?

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be worth having them balanced somewhere different than where you had them originally balanced? May also be beneficial to experiment with the stick on wheel weights. Cut a square in half and add it....test drive ect. I hope you get it dialed in, good luck sir.

OP
OP
B

Blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried it without the centric spacers so they are only centered on the 6x bolts.

Then tried it with balancing again

Then tried it with weights stuck on the outside instead of glued weights

...all the time vibration around 70mph.
And nothing when i put the 20” wheels on There.
But they are 78,1cm centerhole

09Tahoe4Now

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If push comes to shove have the wheels trued and balanced. it will ride smooth as a baby’s bottom but you will lose the ability to rotate the tires. Also, while truing the tires you will lose a little rubber as well. Last resort but works. Good luck.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems to be pointing either to out of balance tires/rims, out of round tires/rims or off-center tires/rims. They said when the old 20’s are on, the vibration goes away.

...yeah..but with the 20's on he's not really going 70 mph he's only really going 66...:D

OP
OP
B

Blue

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found the issue.
The soft 8 hole alloys where not flat where they rested against the hoe’s mounting plate.

they rested on a weldline that the alloys had on the outside of the rims part where it rests agains the hoe.
And the welded circle was not nice and flat all the way round.

Think these alloys are originally made for cars that have a smaller mounting plate where the alloys would rest against, inside that welded circle.

But on the hoe the plate is bigger and therefor doesnt sit nice and flat against the wheel.

so i had a very thin spacer made which is thicker on the inner side and therefor rest inside the weld line. And thicker on the outside so it creates a 100% flat circle on top of the weld circle.

Now i have 0 vibritions :).

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the issue.
The soft 8 hole alloys where not flat where they rested against the hoe’s mounting plate.

they rested on a weldline that the alloys had on the outside of the rims part where it rests agains the hoe.
And the welded circle was not nice and flat all the way round.

Think these alloys are originally made for cars that have a smaller mounting plate where the alloys would rest against, inside that welded circle.

But on the hoe the plate is bigger and therefor doesnt sit nice and flat against the wheel.

so i had a very thin spacer made which is thicker on the inner side and therefor rest inside the weld line. And thicker on the outside so it creates a 100% flat circle on top of the weld circle.

Now i have 0 vibritions :).

Thanks for reporting back! I believe another member was looking at these same wheels very recently and was asking if there would be any problems. Based on the wheel's advertised specs, we saw no reason why it wouldn't fit. This is good info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts