So, what's with the black appliques on the Yukons anyway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
bocaytomas, do you have this mod on your Tahoe? The reason I ask is after seeing your "2008 Tahoe Resonator Delete VID!!" thread video it looks like you have only the top portion of the applique body matched. Please provide details... :Handshake: Did you have the stock pieces painted black below the body line or ? :popcorn:

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bocaytomas, do you have this mod on your Tahoe? The reason I ask is after seeing your "2008 Tahoe Resonator Delete VID!!" thread video it looks like you have only the top portion of the applique body matched. Please provide details... :Handshake: Did you have the stock pieces painted black below the body line or ? :popcorn:

Iwas -- If he DID have that top part painted (and it's not just a reflection), then THAT is how these should have been from the factory! Sounds like some people think I'm dumping on the overall contrast of the black appliques, but I'm not -- it's the lack of integration into the roof line that I dislike.

You should PM that guy and find out if he had that painted up there. Don't know if he's seen this thread....

bocaytomas

Reaction score
As per a request, I put the black panels on my White Tahoe, I like the look of the curve around from window to window, and I'm going for the "Desky" look (Denali Escalade), As I made the B-Pillars Black, Like the esky, but the rear panels black like the Denali

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As per a request, I put the black panels on my White Tahoe, I like the look of the curve around from window to window, and I'm going for the "Desky" look (Denali Escalade), As I made the B-Pillars Black, Like the esky, but the rear panels black like the Denali

Ah, just noticed that! (Actually, I noticed something different about the B-pillars initially, but didn't put 2 and 2 together.) Looks great!

So, you DIDN'T paint-to-match just the very top portion of the appliques? The lighting in your video looks like you did. If you did, that would really look great.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I thought they did this to help set differences between a Tahoe and a Yukon.

I studied the appliques on my dad's Denali. If I swapped them with my Tahoe's, there would be no difference. Meaning, I think they're painted black. The 3rd brake light assembly is also this way, of course it could be black on all Tahoes too, I'm not sure.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand doing something visually different between brands from a marketing/brand standpoint -- I just don't understand why they'd use black appliques [from an aesthetic standpoint], especially when they don't differentiate the truck at all when the truck is black...

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, back in the 2000-2006 generation, the Tahoes and Yukons both had the black applique. The Escalade was the only model to have a body matching one. I guess they stuck to that, for whatever reason they decided to make those black in the first place is beyond me.

I would think that it's something in the same reasoning as making the LS body parts black plastic. If you buy an LT/LTZ, you get matching handles. And if you buy an Escalade, you get matching appliques.

And then with the 07+ models, they stuck with black because that's what that's what color the previous appliques were.. And I guess because the black makes the rear windows look longer? That might have something to do with it. Who knows.

But back to the LS handles, that reminds me, I've always wondered why I never see any 07+ Yukons with LS handles. So basically GM is confusing, haha.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925

Latest posts