Smooth on Blacktop but Vibration on Concrete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spitballing looking for things to look at that may enhance vibrations on concrete and yet pretty smooth on blacktop.

I understand roads are all different, but the vibration I feel does not match any inconsistencies in the road.

Tires are almost new with good balance. New driveshaft, u-joints, and new rear shocks.

Feels like coming from front but that couple be deceiving.

2008 Yukon SLT 5.3 Flex - 180K miles

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unless there is something going on with a slipped belt in a tire, out of balance tire, bent wheel, failure of something in the steering and suspension, I would want to know how much caster lead there is on the passenger side of the alignment.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an alignment done when new tires were installed. I have felt this behavior for a while.

Need to inspect the front end further. Would awesome to have video pointing at suspension while rolling down the highway to see if anything looks out of sorts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can't remember if it was this forum or another one, years back, where a poster had videos on his post where he attached his cell phone with zip ties under the vehicle and shot video with it while driving to try and see what was going on under his rig. It was a bizarre thing to see.

Are you saying the vibration problem was happening before the new tires and alignment or did you notice it after? "I have felt this behavior for a while" doesn't tell me. Having an alignment done after new tires put on still does not tell me where the caster lead is set. Specific details of those adjustments tells me a lot.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem has been going on for a few years. Since then, I have tried many things (driveshaft, u-joints, tires,shocks) to try and remedy the problem all to no avail. Let me check the paperwork to see if they recorded the specs on the alignment.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hope this helps ... I had a similar issue on our 08 Yukon XL. Figured it was the drive shaft out of balance.

Had a rear main seal replaced, two TPMS installed so the tires were balanced and the sway bar end links replaced. One or all the three has cured the issue. I’m putting my $ on the two tires on the d/s that brought the cure. I was aware also that the clip on wheel weights on one tire were loose allowing it to change positions slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on 2 sets of tires since I noticed the vibration so I wouldn’t put money on that.

It’s such a mystery.