Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, check it. I had mine aligned with the fancy laser lights and all that jazz. Just looking at the front wheels you could tell they were too far out. I did the old string and ruler trick and towed it in quite a bit. This was 4 years ago and over 35K miles. Truck drives great and tires have no abnormal ware.

OP
OP
J

jxw004

Reaction score
ok, so I went in and had my tires rotated (routine rotation) and now it feels a lot better, there is still some slop but not even close to what it was. I was told by the shop that my tires were "chopped out" and this is why I had such problems...

OP
OP
J

jxw004

Reaction score
After having some time off and continuing to look for the cause of this I think it is in the joint of the tilt function. I held the shaft in place and was able to turn the wheel a little. Is this something rebuildable or does the coloum have to be replaced? It doesn't look like a u joint, more of a sphere style joint.

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two t25 heads that can back of usually it's only a turn or less made a huge difference in my truck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to remove upper cover around 4 way flasher switch to access the torx heads. They usually have a green mark on them and be sure to use a fresh quality torx bit

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jxw004

Reaction score
So I finally got to the problem, it is the tilt joint. I tried the t25 screws and they are tight in the column. It is loose on the wheel side of the column is this serviceable or do I have to go with a new column?

OP
OP
J

jxw004

Reaction score
Sorry for the long disappearance, Was out on work. I can't get the pick of what I was talking about, However after not having driven the Tahoe for almost a month I think I'm going to wait and get a red head gear box. I checked my rental car when I was out of town and it seemed to have the same type of play with the tilt joint. Thank you all for your help. Once I get the box installed I will report back.

tenntahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for the long disappearance, Was out on work. I can't get the pick of what I was talking about, However after not having driven the Tahoe for almost a month I think I'm going to wait and get a red head gear box. I checked my rental car when I was out of town and it seemed to have the same type of play with the tilt joint. Thank you all for your help. Once I get the box installed I will report back.
What was the price quote from redhead? Which steering feel gear box are you getting? Thinking I may do this as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyhoe24