Should I stick with my Premium pkg ordered Yukon Denali or get one less equipped available now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I'm 5'4 and the fixed seem to be enough for me. Not that I need them to get in but work great. IMHO, all those extra features are just another problem to fix later down the road. To each their own but the fixed suffice even for washing the roof.

MAYukoner

Reaction score
I have the fixed running boards on my Suburban and they have worked out just fine. In my opinion, the retractable boards are just something to break, while the fixed running boards will always be in the proper position for you.

If your local GMC or Chevy dealers do not have any new Suburbans/Tahoe’s/Yukons in stock, you might want to look at the 2015-2020 versions to compare running boards since they should be similar.
Fixed are ugly. Simple as that

OP
OP
L

Lisa Ketsenburg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First, is there any urgency in your need to replace your existing ride? Is it reliable etc?

Second, will the dealer honor the original purchase agreement if the new one becomes a 22 and miles continue to accrue on your trade? If you are trading, that is.
Yes and yes

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a premium packaged Yukon Denali on May 17th. The order was accepted. The salesman told me I might get it in July. Now the dealership is telling me they have no idea when I will get it because of the constraints. There is one available at the end of July without as many features. It doesn’t have retractable sideboards. I’m only 5ft 3 and sort of need those . But maybe the regular ones would work…?.?There are not any on the lot for me to try. Thoughts. The other premium package items are not a big deal to me. My brother said to wait because I will be getting a 2022 instead of a 2021. I’m not sure what to do.
There’s a difference between dealership accepted and GM accepted. It sounds like your order was dealership accepted and waiting for GM to pick it up.
I ordered premium package 4/14 - and in June was told due to constraints it cannot be built with tech package.

I would ask your sales guy if it’s the premium package altogether or if it’s certain parts of the premium package that is on constraints and see if you can live without those.

for me I decided to hold onto the order and let it roll into a 22. If I’m gonna drop that much money on a vehicle I want to get what I want, exactly how I want it. :)

The chip shortage is not going to last forever. May have to wait until beginning or mid 22 to get your vehicle, but these vehicles are worth the wait.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say “Wait it out!”, especially if you can potentially drive home with a 22’.

I have only seen one time where the auto boards malfunctioned, and it was due to snow/salt/sand getting caught up in the actuator pivot arm, which triggered the auto-retract (similar to the way a garage door works if it hits and object). You will be happy you have them and disappointed at the options you could have added had you waited.

Dez78n

Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. Ordered 6/5, still hasn't been accepted by GM. GMC Chat said this morning it was just waiting for the dealership to have an allocation that matched up with my order. But when I asked if the Premium package would keep it from being picked up was just told to talk to the dealership. The sales guy at the dealership just says "This chip shortage is really messing things up!" I've potentially found one that is the same color, has the wheels, moonroof, power boards and sliding console and the diesel engine. Just wouldn't have the rear camera mirror/washer, enhanced braking and the adaptive cruise. I couldn't care less about the adaptive cruise, my current car has it and I hate it lol.

chirp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keep your order open but look for cars that match your specifications. If you see one hit the market, buy it, and then cancel your order. That happened to me. Someone had ordered a Yukon AT4, but when came time to buy, didn't have the credit. I swooped in.

OP
OP
L

Lisa Ketsenburg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. Ordered 6/5, still hasn't been accepted by GM. GMC Chat said this morning it was just waiting for the dealership to have an allocation that matched up with my order. But when I asked if the Premium package would keep it from being picked up was just told to talk to the dealership. The sales guy at the dealership just says "This chip shortage is really messing things up!" I've potentially found one that is the same color, has the wheels, moonroof, power boards and sliding console and the diesel engine. Just wouldn't have the rear camera mirror/washer, enhanced braking and the adaptive cruise. I couldn't care less about the adaptive cruise, my current car has it and I hate it lol.
I don’t like the adaptive cruise either. It’s a control thing I guess. lol

wendal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed are ugly. Simple as that
I respectfully disagree. It's an SUV. Running boards have been on SUV's since their inception, and look fine. The retractable ones are fine as well, but as was stated above, are just something to break. Nothing looks stupider than an SUV with one running board up and one down.... IJS...