Should I buy now or later?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech in the sequoia is 13 years old. Both drivetrain tech and all other tech. I rode in a friends 2018 recently. Gas mileage was pitiful. My 2006 Denali with a bigger engine AND all wheel drive, gets better mileage than her sequoia.....
It looks the same now as it did in 2007 when they introduced that design, minus Toyota adding some LEDs here and there. Even the K2 platform SUV is more interesting than the current sequoia. Lol. Better fuel economy and definitely some cooler tech features.
I'll say it again - Reliability, Durability, Bulletproof! If you want tech buy a video game - if you want a problem free truck buy a Toyota. The mileage is slightly less because the axles have 4.30 gears and the V8's run on all 8 cylinders all the time - ya know without a range device or tune or locking out 6 gear, - kinda like a truck is supposed to. Learn a little about trucks before you go spouting out crap about old tech.

Last edited:

cpayne5

Reaction score
We traded our '13 Sequoia in on our 2021 Tahoe.

The Sequoia was great, but getting long in the tooth (less than 80k miles, though). Our Tahoe is worlds better...today. Long term, we'll see.

If you like the Tahoe/Yukon and have the means, go for it. Can't take it with you.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again - Reliability, Durability, Bulletproof! If you want tech buy a video game - if you want a problem free truck buy a Toyota. The mileage is slightly less because the axles have 4.30 gears and the V8's run on all 8 cylinders all the time - ya know without a range device or tune or locking out 6 gear, - kinda like a truck is supposed to. Learn a little about trucks before you go spouting out crap about old tech.
Easy there turbo. No need to get frosty with me! I know enough about them to get buy so keep those nasty comments About not knowing anything to yourself! This is supposed to be a friendly place! My dad has been a hardcore total guy for the last 20 years. I’ve learned enough about Toyota’s from his experience to. I’m not saying they can’t be bulletproof. I’m just sharing what my experience was with a sequoia. I’ve also had two Toyota’s myself and neither were bulletproof.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nd9GcR9nKQXudbSVZDbmgQ0u4kSbPX38X19ExBCGQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tech in the sequoia is 13 years old. Both drivetrain tech and all other tech. I rode in a friends 2018 recently. Gas mileage was pitiful. My 2006 Denali with a bigger engine AND all wheel drive, gets better mileage than her sequoia.....
It looks the same now as it did in 2007 when they introduced that design, minus Toyota adding some LEDs here and there. Even the K2 platform SUV is more interesting than the current sequoia. Lol. Better fuel economy and definitely some cooler tech features.
I completely agree, the Sequoia is old in every way, it was designed 15 years ago, interior feels like hard plastic from the a time gone by, engine is old tech in that it doesn’t put out the power you’d expect based on its size and from the gas it drinks, and if you actually enjoy technology infotainment, then you’ll feel tortured daily as you look at that tiny 3 inch screen and wonder why nothing is wireless. On the positive side, it’s cheap (for the reasons above) and it’ll always start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsch3001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I lean much more towards go for it. I have a 2019 Sierra AT4 that has had no issues (~17,000 miles). My wife wants to go from her 2018 denali to a new one - just waiting to see a couple of the colors in person before deciding which one. I trust my dealer so have no qualms about what happens if something were to come up - I know they will take care of the vehicle.

I've never owned a Toyota before but have had several Lexus vehicles. They were great but still far from 'bulletproof'. Of all the cars my favorite have been the BMW's - they are fantastic vehicles if you enjoy driving. Maintenance and mechanical issues are the hard part to swallow.

From a large SUV standpoint we have been very happy with the Yukon, the X5 it replaced was nice but didn't have the expected 'BMW feel' but also wasn't big enough that I would expect that sort of compromise. The Yukon is a more enjoyable ride.

Good luck.

Artem-G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you want to be practical, of course you should buy later (in a few years, and used).

Oh, wait, if you want to be practical, you don’t belong here — the minivan owners forum is that way.

I guess buying a new full size SUV Is never about practicality and common sense, eh?.. :)

Last edited:

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to be practical, of course you should buy later (in a few years, and used).

Oh, wait, if you want to be practical, you don’t belong here — the minivan owners forum is that way.

I guess buying a new full size SUV Is never about practicality and common sense, eh?.. :)

Agree. Probably the worst financial decision I've ever made! But I still love it!

jasonb100272

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is time for a new vehicle and I am leaning towards a Yukon AT4. I drove an SLT at the dealer this past week and was mostly impressed with it. It floated a bit on the highway, but the dealer believes that the AT4 will have a bit firmer feel, which I think I would like.

I am very concerned, however, with all the issues I have been reading about. Melted bumpers, media system errors, warning lights, mayflies, and the list goes on. This is a lot of cashola! The dealers I have spoken with have all indicated that GM has slowed down production and is holding back on some models until they have the initial issue solved. I have a Tacoma now and, honestly, it does weird things from time to time, so I realize that nothing is perfect. In fact, I have had two different dealers tell me "that's just how they are, they all do that".

Anyway, if I buy, it will be fully loaded, so should I wait or are all the issues overblown? This will by my first foray into GM ownership.

jasonb100272

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For what it is worth i was in the car business for several years and have several friends who either own or manage dealerships. I recently helped a family friend purchase a vehicle. She had no choice to buy something. I contacted 3 of them that cary the type of inventory she was looking for. Any way there inventories are low. So I asked what's up? Its not unusual during the end of the year or spring that dealerships do this during slower sales time. Since the pandemic new production was cut for a bit witch then used inventory evaporated . Used intrest rates are low also. Dealerships pay intrest on these cars and of course there buildings . (is why they need to make money) As much i try to support big 3 new sales there is a rule i recommend don't buy new unless you can write it off or if you drive it for 4-5 yrs plus years especially now that loans are up to 90 months Because of depreciation. Even with crazy rebates and low % rates all of those factors are calculated in what a cars /trucks depreciation or are worth. So if msrp is 60 grand and theres 10000 rebates and 0 % the minute you drive off your vehicle is not worth 50k a dealer will try to buy them either trade in or auction for 42-45 so with transportation from a auction such as Mannheim auctions, but inside dealership packs fees you don't see . So if a dealer pays 42 and transportation is 700 they add for example 1000. And maybe paintless dent removal and detail will be 44k on there books then they list it for 48-50 they show it is still cheaper to buy a used 2020 with 5000 mi unless its a new dealer they will try to list it higher if they have a bunch of new inventory . since they have 25 new to sell but only 1 used move the money make the manufacturer happy with higher sales. People also don't know new dealerships get aprox 3-4 percent kick back that's why you can buy at invoice, but they in return have to pay a percentage of big tv adds from the manufacturer ,tool and sales software brochures ect. I hope this clears a few things up. So I tell people buy a 2-3 yr old with 20-35 k miles it will save you 20-40% plus it will have a history of bugs that show up. But with this crazy times I recommend if your in the market wait till the spring. By then inventories should replenish some witch should equate to more competition. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879