Shock Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe Z71 with 60K miles and the dealer just told me I had to replace my front shocks. I was thinking about upgrading them to Rancho RS9100XL, adjustable shocks on front and rear. Has anyone tried these and noticed a difference using the adjustable feature, or is this sort of a gimmick? I like the idea of adjustable, assuming I can change it harder and softer than stock.

Also, what is a reasonable cost for changing the front shocks only? Dealer wants $1025

Any feedback is appreciated.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe Z71 with 60K miles and the dealer just told me I had to replace my front shocks. I was thinking about upgrading them to Rancho RS9100XL, adjustable shocks on front and rear. Has anyone tried these and noticed a difference using the adjustable feature, or is this sort of a gimmick? I like the idea of adjustable, assuming I can change it harder and softer than stock.

Also, what is a reasonable cost for changing the front shocks only? Dealer wants $1025

@tst1212 I would not recommend that brand and I would not recommend that price. If you are not going to go with factory replacements I would go with Bilstein 5100 or Bilstein 4600 series shocks. You can get a set of 4 for about $400.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
60k miles is rather low for a front shock replacement, unless you are doing a lot of off-roading or otherwise heavily stressing the front suspension. Did the dealer say that the shocks are leaking, or provide any other evidence that the front shocks are indeed shot?

I would recommend original GM replacement shocks, but certainly you are free to do whatever you want. If you post the last 8 digits of your VIN, @915_Tahoe may be able to provide you with the current exact replacement shock part numbers (part numbers change over time). Then, either you can purchase original GM replacement shocks at RockAuto.com, GMPartsGiant.com, or GMPartsDirect.com for the best price, or you can use those part numbers to cross-reference and obtain exact fit aftermarket shocks.

Depending upon your mechanical skill level, these shocks are not difficult to replace. You will need a strong spring compressor to break down the strut assemblies after removal for disassembly and reassembly, and you can most likely borrow/rent a spring compressor from a local auto parts store. Or, you can bring the strut assemblies and the new shocks to a local auto repair shop, and they will disassemble, replace shocks, and reassemble the strut assemblies for a reasonable price (most likely under $100), and you can do the rest of the work yourself.

Last edited:

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
You can get the bilsteins cheap and you can swap it all out easily with nothing but a floor jack and some basic tools i used the menroe quick struts the first time then upgraded to the bilstein adjustable shocks and those were too rough for me so I got the icons and I like them so far I’ll probably run fox or kings next set I get for the truck though

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have used adjustable shocks before and had no issues. Only in the beginning did I adjust them, never touched them again.

No experience with Ranchos, they came stock on your Z71 and if you like them, see no reason why not to try the RS9100XLs.

I rebuilt my entire front strut assemblies for about $600 which included everything but the strut mount and all parts are GM OE. When we do it again, I'll get a better spring compressor, didn't feel comfortable with the one I used.

OP
OP
T

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm not really looking to save money as I've had the truck for 10 years and never had to put any money into it other than upgrades. I like the idea of adjustable and would like to upgrade from stock. I might try the Ranchos, unless there is a better option for adjustable.

The dealer claimed they "were rusted and leaking". I'm definitely not having them do any more work as they told me my battery was weak and they would charge it for $250.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rancho ride hard, I had them on my 2015 Silverado 2500. Switched to Bilstein......much better. Shocks are east to change but struts require special tools/

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would avoid Ranchos. I had a set of the adjustable 9000s on my Armada, and they sucked. It was impossible to dial in a decent ride. And, they rusted very quickly.

I bought a set of Bilstein 5100s to match the front, and they were 100x better. Seemed to be valved much better.

Rancho is just coasting on the name it made back in the 1980s.

Jesus_831

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went with king OEM performance series on mine ( front rear) and I’m happy I did. My truck rides well, with no sag but holds a very comfortable ride much softer than stock. Like you I wasn’t sure which direction to go but very happy I went with the kings. They have both options for our trucks adjustable or non adjustable and they are rebuildable which is great. Just my 2 cents

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
The Ranchos you mentioned are an easy swap since they come with springs installed and no need for spring compressors or any special tools. I had Ranchos on mine and they were far better than stock and a very soft comfortable ride in most off road conditions and still much better than stock on the highway.

This being said if price is no object than Kings would be the best option they are far better than cheap disposable shocks like the Bilsteins or Fox.

As @Jesus_831 said they are rebuildable and current cost on a rebuild is still cheaper than a set of Fox or other disposable shocks.

I am running Kings on mine now and they are great on and off road much better than Ranchos or any other shocks I have used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSurfer5300