Shift cable disconnected from transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Art Karlson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I arrived at my destination I moved the shift lever to find it moved freely with no discernible resistance or change in transmission position. It appeared to be in 3 rd gear. I shut down the Tahoe and called it a night

today I searched online and found possible shifter or cable issues. I jacked the vehicle and looked at the cable.

i quickly moved the transmission lever all the way forward and snapped the cable back on. Fixed

is there any retainer? It would make sense for a split ting of something but this is a Gm product and they have got to have the worst designers

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I arrived at my destination I moved the shift lever to find it moved freely with no discernible resistance or change in transmission position. It appeared to be in 3 rd gear. I shut down the Tahoe and called it a night

today I searched online and found possible shifter or cable issues. I jacked the vehicle and looked at the cable.

i quickly moved the transmission lever all the way forward and snapped the cable back on. Fixed

is there any retainer? It would make sense for a split ting of something but this is a Gm product and they have got to have the worst designers

It might help to post your model year and a few details about your rig. This is the 2021 forum and if yours is that, is it under warranty?

beardman7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I had the same problem with my 2013 Hybrid Tahoe . I tried numerous replacement bushings and none would work for a hybrid! They would slip off within a day or two! I ended up having to replace the whole cable( which now comes in two parts).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drill a small hole in the shift lever nipple that sticks out and then put a cotter pin it, they sell a pack of various sized cotter pins at pretty much any hardware or autoparts store
then it won't come off anymore unless you remove the cotter pin. that's how I fixed mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts