Shaken, not stirred Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali Brad

Reaction score
After 25 years, and 320K miles of good service, my 1993 3/4 Ton 4WD Suburban finally met it's maker in 2018.

We replaced it with a CPO 2016 4WD Denali XL with 36K on the clock. At purchase, it had 24" rims and rode like a tank. Part of the problem was the transmission shudder, which was fixed by the TSC flush.

Still rode poorly so I purchased a set of new factory take off 22" rims with the factory Bridgestone tires. Still rode poorly. Dealership changed 1 rear shock, said it was locked up. Had the tires balanced.

Still very rough, and had a shake above 75 MPH. Had the tires RF balanced, better, but still not great.

Now have 45K on the clock and looking for suggestions from the knowledge base here.

Thoughts from others that may have had issues?

Thanks,

Brad

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditch the Bridgestones. It’s widely known that they ride like garbage. I had them on stock 17 inch wheels when I first bought my 2006, and I could still feel every bump in the road. Get yourself a good set of Michelin tires.
Edit: you should also have the front shocks checked out. It’s widely known that the MRC shocks leak the magnetic fluid out, and prematurely get stuck either nearly fully extended or close to it which will cause a pretty rough ride. If the dealer didn’t find that to begin with you may want to have it checked out another dealership service.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 25 years, and 320K miles of good service, my 1993 3/4 Ton 4WD Suburban finally met it's maker in 2018.

We replaced it with a CPO 2016 4WD Denali XL with 36K on the clock. At purchase, it had 24" rims and rode like a tank. Part of the problem was the transmission shudder, which was fixed by the TSC flush.

Still rode poorly so I purchased a set of new factory take off 22" rims with the factory Bridgestone tires. Still rode poorly. Dealership changed 1 rear shock, said it was locked up. Had the tires balanced.

Still very rough, and had a shake above 75 MPH. Had the tires RF balanced, better, but still not great.

Now have 45K on the clock and looking for suggestions from the knowledge base here.

Thanks,

Brad

Was getting some vibration with my original Continental Tires. Changed them out at 40K miles for Michelin Defender. Had them road forced. All was smooth again. Even at 90 MPH. I have 20 inch tires.

Out of curiosity did you get all service records for your 2016 Denali?

OP
OP
D

Denali Brad

Reaction score
Yes I did, more than anything else I wanted to make sure the truck had regular oil changes.

All the service was done at the local dealership, so it was easy to get.

lbenson

Reaction score

Thanks,

Brad

Did you ever get the shake at 75mph+ fixed?
Just got new Michelin defenders with new rims. Balanced fronts twice now. Still shaking. Dealer did not mention front struts at all.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

Brad

I have read on these forums that your suspension has to be recalibrated at times. You can pay the dealer to do this or get the interface device and GDS software and do it yourself when you feel it has gone awry.

The 12-bolt axles had some issues, mainly their axle shafts weren't ground/milled correctly and are out of round. Jack up the rear, pull the tires and stick it in gear at low speed to see. There are youtube videos on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wintermute92

Latest posts