Settings Reset/Dead. Battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigc1264

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently on my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali, I have got in the vehicle, and all my settings have been reset. My seat is no longer saved, and my dash is back to a factory look instead of how I have it set. The radio stations are still saved, though. This morning I went to fire it up, and nothing happened. Not even a click like a dead battery. I still grabbed my multimeter and measured the battery. It is at 12.4 volts.

Any ideas about what could be the issue?

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be your starter if you don’t hear anything after jumping your truck.

OP
OP
C

craigc1264

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Possibly, however no lights or anything came on either. That's why I assumed it was the battery. After I hooked it up to the multimeter and checked voltage, it fired right up like normal, but all my settings were reset again.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently on my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali, I have got in the vehicle, and all my settings have been reset. My seat is no longer saved, and my dash is back to a factory look instead of how I have it set. The radio stations are still saved, though. This morning I went to fire it up, and nothing happened. Not even a click like a dead battery. I still grabbed my multimeter and measured the battery. It is at 12.4 volts.

it would be a good idea to start by checking the battery cables and grounds, sounds like poor voltage.
however the seat loosing memory is abnormal, are you sure it is has not just defaulted to "memory function off"?
if you press and hold the memory button's on the door the seat should move to the saved settings.
the memory settings for the seat is not battery dependent it is saved on non-volatile memory and should stay exactly the same unless you change it to a new setting

k_arnold72

Reaction score
I just went through pretty much this same thing. Started with memory items getting lost, then a few random error messages on the dash, then after about 2 weeks of glitches it began to hesitate to start and throw check engine codes.

These might be early signs that the battery is going bad. I drove auto zone to run the diagnostic and they confirmed, even though it was reading 12v, it wasn't holding the alternators charge. If you have an auto shop nearby, they usually run free electrical system tests.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to AutoZone and they tested the battery I bought from them under warranty and told me all is good. I told the manager I am going to buy a new battery and pay for it. If I put the new battery in my truck and it solves my issue then you will refund me when I give back the old battery. You have to be persistent sometimes. I would only buy my battery from AutoZone because of the convenience and that they are nationwide. DuraLast is an excellent brand for car parts. Advanced Auto sells DieHard batteries but they don’t have as many stores like AutoZone. You can change the battery yourself in the AutoZone parking lot and use there tools. I would never allow anyone to change my battery.

Last edited:

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you ever get your issue resolved? I'm just seeing this post, but it certainly sounds to me like a connectivity issue and most likely a grounding issue. Check the ground to the BCM as well as your terminal connections both on the battery side and the chassis side. Also, your ECM ground as well. There are unfortunately a bajillion grounds on these vehicles so happy hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar