SES, P0758 (shift solenoid b), then SES went away...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. This all happened between Sunday afternoon and Monday evening.

I drove my 2002 Tahoe about 40 miles on a hot 115 degree F day to help my sister move. Right as I pulled up to her house, Service Engine Soon light came on. I got it checked out right away at the OReilly outside of her neighborhood and it was a P0758 code (shift solenoid b, electrical). Not being anywhere near my tools and not noticing any problems, I decided I would drive it home and figure things out then.

This was when I noticed the shifting problems... It was slow to accelerate like I was starting in 2nd gear and wouldn't shift into 4th. Tried manually shifting into 1, 2, 3, & D which helped a little bit. 1 only seemed to work when going from Park to 1, not 2, 3 or D to 1. 2 worked fine but would shift hard into 3. No change from 3 to D. I was able to limp it home on surface streets and started researching.

It sounds like a fairly common failure of a shift solenoid. I ordered 2 solenoids to replace the 1-2 (A) and 3-4 (B) solenoids and a transmission filter kit with new filter, gasket, and seal. Fast forward to this morning, I go to drive to work a few miles from home and notice it's shifting through all 4 gears as it should and doesn't seem to be having any problems. Within 1/4 mile of leaving work this evening, my SES light turns off. I did notice it's still shifting a little off, but for the most part it's working as it should.

I'm thinking I should still replace the two solenoids and trans filter before they fail again and potentially leave me stranded somewhere. I'm wondering if (1) anyone has dealt with this before, (2) if I should go forward with the planned fix or leave it, and (3) if I do go forward, if there's anything else I should do while I have the trans pan off.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

*Potch
2002 Chevy Tahoe LS, 4wd
5.3L Vortec
4L60E, 4 speed

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered 2 solenoids to replace the 1-2 (A) and 3-4 (B) solenoids and a transmission filter kit with new filter, gasket, and seal.

I'm thinking I should still replace the two solenoids and trans filter before they fail again and potentially leave me stranded somewhere... I'm wondering if ...if I should go forward with the planned fix or leave it

Go for it.

Mooseman93

Reaction score
Did you get this figured out? If not, when mine lost 1st and 4th gear, it turned out that a mouse chewed some wires under/inside the engine bay fuse box. Cheap and easy fix with a soldering iron, but took me a long time to find the source of the problem.

Shawn71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. This all happened between Sunday afternoon and Monday evening.

I drove my 2002 Tahoe about 40 miles on a hot 115 degree F day to help my sister move. Right as I pulled up to her house, Service Engine Soon light came on. I got it checked out right away at the OReilly outside of her neighborhood and it was a P0758 code (shift solenoid b, electrical). Not being anywhere near my tools and not noticing any problems, I decided I would drive it home and figure things out then.

This was when I noticed the shifting problems... It was slow to accelerate like I was starting in 2nd gear and wouldn't shift into 4th. Tried manually shifting into 1, 2, 3, & D which helped a little bit. 1 only seemed to work when going from Park to 1, not 2, 3 or D to 1. 2 worked fine but would shift hard into 3. No change from 3 to D. I was able to limp it home on surface streets and started researching.

It sounds like a fairly common failure of a shift solenoid. I ordered 2 solenoids to replace the 1-2 (A) and 3-4 (B) solenoids and a transmission filter kit with new filter, gasket, and seal. Fast forward to this morning, I go to drive to work a few miles from home and notice it's shifting through all 4 gears as it should and doesn't seem to be having any problems. Within 1/4 mile of leaving work this evening, my SES light turns off. I did notice it's still shifting a little off, but for the most part it's working as it should.

I'm thinking I should still replace the two solenoids and trans filter before they fail again and potentially leave me stranded somewhere. I'm wondering if (1) anyone has dealt with this before, (2) if I should go forward with the planned fix or leave it, and (3) if I do go forward, if there's anything else I should do while I have the trans pan off.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

*Potch
2002 Chevy Tahoe LS, 4wd
5.3L Vortec
4L60E, 4 speed
Where and when did you aquire the A & B solenoids?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon