Service battery charging system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramiro0727

Reaction score
We had this message come up on the console a few weeks back. We took it in to the dealer and they said everything was ok. When we noticed this the battery voltage was fluctuating all over the place. The battery was tested at the dealership and it came up good. It's been almost 2 weeks since we took to the dealer. The other day it came up again. But this time it only lasted it before at 30 seconds before the message went away. The first time it came up it lasted for about 40 mins before it went away. What can I check to make sure it doesn't show up again

Thanks,
Ramirof9585fb6fe400de766322fb39336cf42.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to check would be that battery cables are nice and tight. Grab ahold of them and wiggle around. If they move even a little bit, that could cause an issue.

Next would probably be ground straps as well as the alternator.

OP
OP
R

Ramiro0727

Reaction score
First thing to check would be that battery cables are nice and tight. Grab ahold of them and wiggle around. If they move even a little bit, that could cause an issue.

Next would probably be ground straps as well as the alternator.
Tsuintx I will check that out. I did notice that by the fuse on the positive terminal that connection looked as little dirty to me.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, even new things can go bad quickly sometimes. A Tech2, the computer used by the dealerships for these trucks, can see the health of the battery and alternator. It can also be used to command the alternator to change its output levels for testing purposes. Only GM dealers would have this as the scan tool was made specifically for GM autos. You can of course buy your own and save a bundle.

If the cables check out alright, and I suspect they will and your mileage is average, I would dump that battery for a new 48AGM AC Delco battery.

cmyhre85355

Reaction score
Had this exact thing happen to me last night while I was installing some new speakers. Threw it on the trickle charger for a few hours and the condition cleared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isp5190

Reaction score
We had this message come up on the console a few weeks back. We took it in to the dealer and they said everything was ok. When we noticed this the battery voltage was fluctuating all over the place. The battery was tested at the dealership and it came up good. It's been almost 2 weeks since we took to the dealer. The other day it came up again. But this time it only lasted it before at 30 seconds before the message went away. The first time it came up it lasted for about 40 mins before it went away. What can I check to make sure it doesn't show up again

Thanks,
Ramirof9585fb6fe400de766322fb39336cf42.jpg

Same thing happened to me several weeks ago. When to a local tire shop where I buy tires, they check the system said everything was good. Took it to my local Chevy dealer, they check and said the battery was on the border of being bad. Had them replace the battery and no problems now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwflorian