Service airbag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CL2011

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please bear with me I am almost 70 and not too sharp on this internet stuff. I have a 2011 Tahoe LT and when I would move my driver seat back service airbag would come on and when I moved it forward it would turn off so I'm guessing wiring under the seat. As of about 3 days ago now it stays on regardless of which way I move the seat. I moved it forward and went to the second row to look under the seat and I see a big harness to the left near the floor vent with a bunch of wires in it. Is there a way to find out which one of those wires could be tied into the seat sensor? I don't have a loose connector and I don't see any wires hanging out as if they came out of that white connector

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the seat airbag wiring has a yellow connector.

Looks like a white and green wire for both driver and passenger sides from what I can tell through ebay..

If not the airbag itself, it looks like the "inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module" (SDM) might also be located under the driver seat..
So you might look for that module and any wires coming out of it.. Might look like this..

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CL2011

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond all of you. I am trying to find a good YouTube video on how to get the plastic trim from around the bottom of the seat without breaking it. I already found one person that said you can use regular SAE sockets on those bolts even though they take a specific socket. I thought the seat sensor operated the airbag in the steering wheel. But after reading these posts I'm wondering if the airbag is designed into the seat and that's what I would be missing, since I have a bad wire. What would happen if I just snipped off the connector for the seat sensor module and twisted the two wires together.

OP
OP
C

CL2011

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You'll probably have to pull the seat out and look for the yellow wires
Thanks a lot. From what I am learning with the help of my son LOL, is that there is some kind of Black Box on the right side of my driver seat and there should be a white connector with two wires running from it. It's so tight in there I can't get my fingers in there from the front side or back to wiggle the wire and see if I can make the airbag alert turn off on the dashboard. Can you give me any ideas on how I can find a YouTube video on how to snap off the plastic accents around the seat bolts? I found something that said I can use a regular SAE socket I don't need those special e sockets for the bolts.. where is this airbag exactly that's being controlled by the seat pressure switch. Because I am wondering if I just ignore that light I know I won't have that particular airbag for protection. I was also thinking if I can't figure out the repair I could just twist the two wires together and put a wire nut on them and just make the system think I'm sitting in the car all the time.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. From what I am learning with the help of my son LOL, is that there is some kind of Black Box on the right side of my driver seat and there should be a white connector with two wires running from it. It's so tight in there I can't get my fingers in there from the front side or back to wiggle the wire and see if I can make the airbag alert turn off on the dashboard. Can you give me any ideas on how I can find a YouTube video on how to snap off the plastic accents around the seat bolts? I found something that said I can use a regular SAE socket I don't need those special e sockets for the bolts.. where is this airbag exactly that's being controlled by the seat pressure switch. Because I am wondering if I just ignore that light I know I won't have that particular airbag for protection. I was also thinking if I can't figure out the repair I could just twist the two wires together and put a wire nut on them and just make the system think I'm sitting in the car all the time.
doesn't work like that, the airbag system reads the ohm's and has to be within certain parameters or you may end up with no airbag deployment at all, not really sure to be honest if it disrupts the whole system or just that one section.
the "black box" as it is sometimes called is under the driver seat, the passenger seat has a presence sensor, not sure if the drivers seat does or not but it probably does
you could try a website like the "seat shop" for video's of how to remove the seat so you can access any wiring under the seat.
and yes unless the seat bolt is a recessed head then you can use a standard socket to remove it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts